Seventeen workers at Coca Cola Bottling Co.’s Mapunapuna’s facility evacuated their building early this morning after the accidental release of ammonia from the plant’s refrigeration unit.
The alarm was called in at 12:30 a.m. by someone riding a bike near the plant at 949 Mapunapuna St.
Two plant employees suffered minor respiratory and eye irritation, fire officials said, but were treated at the scene and released.
Firefighters and police closed a one block area around Mapunapuna and Pukaloa streets.
As a safety precaution about dozen employees at Armstrong Produce also were evacuated since the produce wholesale warehouse is downwind of the Coca Cola bottling plant.
Officials reopened the area at 2:30 a.m.