Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Friday, May 24, 2024 80° Today's Paper


Top News

Maui man escapes burning home thanks to smoke alarm

A Waiehu man escaped from a burning home Sunday after being awakened by  smoke alarm, the Maui Fire Department said.

Rick Liserr, 84, was asleep in his single-story home at 1356 Hiahia St. when his smoke detector went off at midday. Liserr exited the house but the fire caused a total of $400,000 damage to the house and contents.

“Everyone is very happy that Mr. Liserr made it out of his home OK,” Maui Fire Chief Jeff Murray said. “Make sure your smoke detector is working properly and know what to do if one is activated.”

Investigators said the fire probably was started by an electrical short in the garage.

Comments are closed.