comscore Farrington edges Campbell in OIA Red semifinal | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Every act of aloha counts. Click here to DONATE to the MAUI RELIEF Fund.
Top News

Farrington edges Campbell in OIA Red semifinal

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now

Farrington held off a furious Campbell comeback to pull out a 27-24 win in an OIA Red semifinal game tonight at Aloha Stadium.

Farrington running back Tyler Taumua ran for two touchdowns and the Governors defense halted the Sabers’ final drive to set up a meeting with Kahuku in the OIA Red championship game.

The top-ranked Governors also earned a state tournament berth with the win.

Campbell will play Leilehua for the OIA’s third spot in the Division I state tournament.

Farrington took the lead an Toma Barrett’s 7-yard touchdown reception from Travis Tamapua.

Campbell answered with Justin Tago-Su’e’s 5-yard touchdown pass to Paul-Andrew Rhoden, but the Sabers missed the extra point and the Governors retained the lead.

Taumua, who ran for 116 yards in the first half, gave Farrington a 14-6 lead with a 1-yard scoring run.

Campbell closed to 14-12 on an 80-yard interception return by Jyrelle Umali with 5:34 left in the second quarter.

The Governors broke up a pass on the 2-point conversion and the offense responded with an 11-play drive, running the ball on 10, and extended the lead to 21-12 on Abraham Silva’s 1-yard run.

A dramatic momentum swing helped Farrington stretch the lead in the third quarter.

Campbell appeared poised to cut into the deficit when the Sabers drove to the Farrington 6 but lost a fumble recovered by Vaoatea Sagapolu.

A 50-yard completion from Tamapua to Barrett moved Farrington into Campbell territory and Taumua ended the drive with a 1-yard off the left side to stretch the lead to 27-12.

Campbell quarterback Isaac Hurd answered with a 10-yard touchdown pass to Keoni Piceno with 6 seconds left in the third quarter.

The extra point was wide, but Campbell’s Dylan Kekai Garcia recovered the ensuing kickoff after it hit off a Farrington player.

BJ Halmos pulled in a 34-yard completion off a tipped pass on the final play of the quarter and Hurd opened the fourth by scoring on a 3-yard quarterback sneak to cut the deficit to 27-24.

Campbell got the ball back with 4:29 left in the game and Tago-Su’e led the Sabers to the Farrington 35. But the drive stalled there and Farrington ran out the final 34 seconds.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up