comscore Campbell Industrial Park fire caused by sparks igniting gasoline | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Campbell Industrial Park fire caused by sparks igniting gasoline

A fire investigator has determined that a fire to a warehouse in Campbell Industrial Park Nov. 29 was caused unintentionally when workers taking apart components off a car produced some sparks that ignited gasoline vapor from an open container.

The 11:16 a.m. fire then spread to a pile of tires and the warehouse on 91-080 Hanua Street, Honolulu fire Capt. Terry Seelig said.

The damage to the structure and contents of the warehouse belonging to Tows R Us, an auto recycling and salvage company, was estimated earlier to be $800,000.

About 20 percent of the 20.800-square-foot warehouse was damaged. Five other businesses in the warehouse had little or no damage.

Firefighters on the scene said it was fortunate in that the fire came close to, but did not reach several fuel tanker trucks filled with flammable vapors. If the tankers had caught fire, there could have a major explosion, Seelig said.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up