comscore Appliance malfunctions caused two residential fires | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Appliance malfunctions caused two residential fires


  • Cindy ellen Russell / crussell@staradvertiser.com
[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

Two recent residential fires were caused by electrical appliance malfunctions, Honolulu Fire Department investigations have concluded.

A fire at 790 Kaipii St. in Kailua on Dec. 16 was caused by a malfunction in a video game console battery charger, fire Capt. Terry Seelig said. The fire spread throughout the house from a cabinet in a living room in the rear of the home, causing $400,000 in damage, he said.

A malfunctioning hand-held electric massager is to blame for a fire Wednesday at 434 Launiu St. in Waikiki, Seelig said. That fire spread through the bottom-floor unit into a rental unit on the second floor, causing about $450,000 in damage, he said.

Seelig said consumers should regularly clean and inspect electrical appliances for signs of deterioration or damage.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments have been disabled for this story...

Scroll Up