LAS VEGAS >> Singer Celine Dion has canceled more shows at Las Vegas’ Caesars Palace, citing a virus causing an inflammation of her vocal cords.
Christi Nelson, an official with show producer AEG Live, said Tuesday that the French-Canadian pop superstar has been ordered to rest her voice for six to eight weeks and will resume performances June 9.
"I tried to sing at my sound check last week, and I had no control of my voice whatsoever," Dion said in a statement. "We thought that after a few days’ rest I would improve, but it wasn’t getting any better."
Officials announced last weekend that Dion was canceling shows through March 3. On Monday, she was diagnosed with a viral illness and weakness in her right vocal cord by Dr. Gerald Burke, an authority in laryngeal physiology at UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles.
The singer of romantic odes including "My Heart Will Go On" and "It’s All Coming Back to Me Now" returned to Caesars Palace a year ago for a three-year engagement.
The Las Vegas Strip casino spent $95 million building the Colosseum for Dion in 2003, complete with a humidifier to protect her voice. After a five-year run at the casino, she embarked on a world tour and took time off for her family, giving birth to twin boys in 2010.
Tickets to the new show in Las Vegas sell for up to $250 apiece.
Dion said the doctor assured her she’ll be "back to 100 percent" after resting her voice, but she said she’s disappointed by the cancellations.
"Obviously this is the worst thing for a singer … not being able to do your shows," she said. "I feel worse knowing that I’m disappointing my fans. I’m so sorry … I hope they forgive me."