comscore Passengers arrive in Honolulu from 2 delayed United flights | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Passengers arrive in Honolulu from 2 delayed United flights

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now

Two United Airlines flights from San Francisco to Honolulu was apparently delayed twice over the weekend.

A flight on Saturday was canceled because of "an aircraft maintenance issue," said United Airlines spokeswoman Mary Clark.

Then, a United Airlines flight scheduled to leave at 4:40 p.m. Sunday was  also delayed and didn’t leave until 2:42 a.m. San Francisco time this morning.

The husband of one of the passengers said his wife was stuck on the tarmac of San Francisco International Airport for hours Saturday, and again Sunday.

"They’re starting to riot on the plane," Honolulu attorney Michael Rudy said Sunday afternoon. Rudy’s wife, Dr. Cheryl Lynn Rudy, was originally scheduled to leave Saturday afternoon  and finally arrived home at 6 p.m. Sunday. 

Dr. Rudy spent several hours on the tarmac Saturday before the crew announced the plane had a mechanical issue, her husband said.

Passengers were finally removed from the plane after midnight and given the option of taking a shuttle bus to a nearby hotel, which Dr. Rudy did, her husband said.

She and other passengers were told to meet the shuttle bus at 4 a.m. this morning.

But Dr. Rudy and the other passengers arrived at the airport Sunday to find "no plane and no crew," Michael Rudy said.

"They waited for nine hours and finally boarded at 1 p.m. today (Sunday)," Rudy said. "They’ve been kept sitting on the tarmac for another 2 1/2 hours and they (United’s crew) won’t let them get off the plane. They were told there were problems with the luggage inspection, they’ve been told the plane is overweight."

United Airlines Flight 73 also experienced a 10 hour delay Sunday and arrived in Honolulu at 4:51 a.m. today.

United Airlines spokeswoman Mary Clark said the passengers were allowed to leave the plane Sunday evening.

"They’re not on the plane," she said Sunday. "They’re in the airport and they can leave and do whatever they want for the next nine hours."


Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up