comscore Driver in multiple-fatal accident on Kunia Road goes to trial Oct. 1 | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Driver in multiple-fatal accident on Kunia Road goes to trial Oct. 1

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now

A 27-year-old man charged with killing two people last year after speeding on Kunia Road and causing a five-car wreck will go on trial Oct. 1.

An Oahu grand jury indicted Pulu Sese July 19, charging him with two counts of negligent homicide.

Police said Sese caused the Jan. 1, 2011, crash that killed Jennifer Parsons, 42, of Wai­anae, and Samson Kautai, 12, of Kane­ohe.

Sese is currently being held in Oahu Community Correctional Center unable to post a $50,000 bail.

He entered a plea this morning of not guilty via a closed circuit video conference call.

He was taken into custody on Saturday after being arrested for allegedly shattering the glass window of a Kahala business during an argument with his girlfriend. Police said Sese was arguing with the woman when he punched the glass at about 8 p.m. A witness notified store employees, who called police. His arraignment on the criminal property damage charge will be held Monday in Circuit Court.

He was served with the grand jury indictment for negligent homicide after his arrest Saturday and authorities discovered there was an outstanding warrant against him.

Circuit Judge Richard Perkins this morning set his Circuit Court date on negilgent homicide charges for the week of Oct. 1 before Judge Dexter Del Rosario.

City prosecutors said Sese was speeding on Kunia Road and passing other vehicles when he crashed his car into Parsons’ oncoming vehicle. Sese’s car overturned, ejecting him and Kautai, who was a rear-seat passenger in the car.

Kautai and Parsons died at the scene.

Police said the car Sese was trying to pass veered to the right, spun into the opposite lane of traffic and was hit broadside by a pickup. The car behind Parsons was hit by debris, veered to the right and struck a dirt embankment.

Sese went to the Queen’s Medical Center in critical condition. His other passengers — male teenagers 19, 17 and 14 — and the drivers of the pickup and the car Sese was trying to pass went to Queen’s in serious condition.

The deputy prosecutor said Sese’s blood-alcohol content was 0.08, the legal threshold for drunken-driving. Police calculated his car was traveling 78 mph in a 35 mph zone.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up