comscore Maui police officer wakes up residents, helps put out house fire | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Maui police officer wakes up residents, helps put out house fire

  • COURTESY: MAUI POLICE DEPARTMENT
    Maui Police Officer Gershom Slonim went into a smoke-filled house this morning to alert residents of a fire.
  • COURTESY: MAUI POLICE DEPARTMENT
    Maui Police Officer Darryl Honda (above), along with officers Randy Takayama and Gershom Slonin went into a smoke-filled Kahului house to alert residents of a fire this morning.
  • COURTESY: MAUI POLICE DEPARTMENT
    OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

A rookie Maui police office is credited with saving lives when he entered a smoke-filled Kahului house, woke up residents and helped extinguish a fire.

Officer Gershom Slonin, 24, was driving through the neighborhood in his patrol car when he when he saw smoke coming from a two-story home at 565 South Papa Ave. at 2:26 a.m.

Slonim said he called the fire department and then went into the building carrying a small fire extinguisher.

He woke up two men, who were still sleeping, and asked if there were other people in the home.

Slonim said he used his fire extinguisher to douse a pot of oil that had caught on fire on the store.

At that point Slonim said the smoke was so thick that he had to go out because he couldn’t breath.

Two other officers — Daryl Honda and Randy Takayama  — went into the house with Slonim to help two other men and woman evacuate the home.

“I was just doing my job. Nothing extraordinary, just my job,” said Slonim, who has been on patrol duty for just five months.

“I just did what I had to do with my partners. They also deserve the credit.”

The Maui Fire Department said a dozen people lived in the home. All escaped without injury.

Firefighters arriving on scene saw light smoke and fire coming from the home. Fire crews had the small fire under control at 2:50 a.m. and extinguished by 3:35 a.m.

The fire spread from the stove to the kitchen and living room on the first floor. Damage was estimated at $7,000.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up