Maui fire officials said today the cause of a fire that caused $1.4 million in damage to Valley Isle Resort in Kahana is undetermined but was likely to have been accidental “due to operating equipment.
Elevator service has been restored to the resort Monday. Fire spokesman Lee Mainaga said although the front entrance has been closed because of fire damage, occupants could reach the elevator from the ocean side of the building.
The Monday fire damaged a gym, sauna, kitchen and offices of the resort.
He said investigators had exercised caution in entering sections of the damaged second floor.
The fire did not reach the upper portion of the 10-story building that houses vacation rentals and timeshare units, fire officials said. Occupants were evacuated but were later allowed to return to their units.
Officials estimated the loss at $900,000 to the building and $500,000 to contents.