The telescope towers of the Haleakala Observatory were evacuated due to smoke Wednesday night.
Maui firefighters received the alarm at 6:14 p.m. after smoke was seen coming from the basement. No flames were reported.
The observatory supervisor reported that the generators had been smoking and were shut off, Maui fire officials said.
The air compressor generators are used to cool the telescope, but were overheating, a fire official said.
Fire officials said they didn’t know how many people were evacuated.
No damages or injuries were reported.