comscore In Israel, Bosnia war crimes suspect loses appeal | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

In Israel, Bosnia war crimes suspect loses appeal

[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

JERUSALEM (AP) — JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel’s Supreme Court has rejected a former Bosnian Serb soldier’s appeal to block his extradition to his homeland to stand trial on war crimes charges.

A lower court ruled in August that Aleksander Cvetkovic, who is married to an Israeli and holds Israeli citizenship, can be sent to Bosnia. The high court heard his appeal in June and ruled against him on Thursday.

The Justice Ministry says no date for the extradition has been set.

Cvetkovic was arrested last year after Bosnia sought his extradition. Bosnia says he was part of a firing squad that executed up to 1,200 Bosnian Muslims in July 1995.

The killings were part of what became known as the Srebrenica massacre, where Serb troops killed more than 8,000 Muslim men and boys.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments have been disabled for this story...

Scroll Up