comscore Man who once took Honolulu TV news cameraman hostage facing car theft charges | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Man who once took Honolulu TV news cameraman hostage facing car theft charges

  • Ulysses Kim

A 48 year-old convicted felon, who was arrested 21 years ago for taking a television cameraman hostage, is back in custody.

This time, Ulysses Kim, who also won a 1999 court settlement and received $199,000 for mistreatment while housed in Halawa Correctional Facility, is facing charges of first-degree car theft, and first-degree and second-degree terroristic threatening.

Kim was supposed to be arraigned today in Circuit Court, but the proceedings were postponed until Monday because he is in Oahu Community Correctional Center’s medical facility. Kim is being held at the Kalihi prison facility unable to post $50,000 bail.

Police said Kim on Sept. 23 entered the car of a 58-year-old man in Waipahu and tried to steal it.

The victim confronted the suspect, who then tried to flee. The victim then held the suspect until police arrived.

Kim was indicted by an Oahu grand jury on Sept. 26.

In August 1992, Kim, armed with a sawed-off shotgun, was a parole violator being sought by police when he took a KGMB-TV cameraman hostage to use as a human shield.

Kim was being sought for aiming a shotgun at state deputies trying to serve a parole-violation warrant for failing to pass drug tests.He had been paroled in 1992 after serving seven years for armed robbery.

The television cameraman was at Round Top Drive in the Tantalus, reporting on the manhunt

The standoff ended when a police officer shot Kim in the shoulder. Kim had shoved the cameraman to the ground.

Circuit Judge Bambi Weil sentenced Kim to prison for up to 20 years, and said he “must be isolated from the community” because of his history of crime and violence. 

The Hawaii Paroling Authority set Kim’s minimum prison term at 12 years before he was eligible for parole.

Kim has an extensive criminal record dating back to 1984 when he was first convicted for robbery. Kim has convictions for eight felony and two misdemeanor crimes.

He was arrested again in 2007 for failing a drug test while on parole.

Last year, Kim was arrested and convicted of misdemeanor car theft and served 30 days in jail.

In his 1995 lawsuit, Kim alleged that prison officials branded Kim a “special case” or problem prisoner after he was transferred to Halawa’s high security section where he was stripped, shackled and beaten with a riot baton. The special case policy, which allowed the use of shackles, has since been rescinded. 

Kim had been stripped nearly naked and left shackled in a cold jail cell without bedding for two weeks in August 1995, Kim’s lawyers said.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments have been disabled for this story...

Scroll Up