comscore Man taking plea deal in Vegas 'Thunder From Down Under' attack | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Man taking plea deal in Vegas ‘Thunder From Down Under’ attack


  • Joey Kadmiri appeared at the Clark County Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas Township Justice Court in March 2014. (L.E. Baskow/Las Vegas Sun via AP
[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

LAS VEGAS » A man who admitted firing a gun while trying to steal costumes and props from the "Thunder From Down Under" male revue on the Las Vegas Strip took another step today in a plea deal that is expected to get him up to 25 years in prison.

Joey Kadmiri waived a preliminary hearing in a separate felony domestic violence case and told a judge he’ll plead guilty Monday in state court to battery with use of a deadly weapon.

He had been accused of kidnapping, beating and confining a woman at gunpoint in a closet in November 2013.

Kadmiri, 26, pleaded guilty Thursday in Clark County District Court to felony weapon, battery and theft charges in the March 2014 backstage shooting at the Excalibur hotel-casino.

He admitted firing a .44-caliber handgun during a struggle with cast members of the Australian-themed men’s revue who found him backstage trying to steal items including thong underwear.

Two employees, ages 55 and 40, received gunpowder burns. Kadmiri was left with a black eye and bruises.

Resolving the two cases will avoid a retrial in the Thunder From Down Under case that had been scheduled to begin next week.

He stood trial in July 2014 on nine felony charges that could have gotten him decades in state prison. Those proceedings ended in a mistrial after jurors talked about evidence before beginning deliberations.

Kadmiri has been in custody for 20 months, and has undergone several mental health evaluations that found him competent to stand trial.

He told a judge Thursday that he’s being treated for mental illnesses and takes medication for paranoia and depression.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments have been disabled for this story...

Scroll Up