comscore Philippine offensive reportedly wounds top terror suspect | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Philippine offensive reportedly wounds top terror suspect

MANILA, Philippines >> Philippine troops have launched airstrikes and ground assaults that reportedly wounded one of Southeast Asia’s most-wanted terror suspects who is trying to establish a new base for an alliance backing the Islamic State group, officials said today.

Intelligence reports showed initial assaults killed at least four militants, possibly including a Malaysian, and reportedly wounded the main target, Isnilon Hapilon, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana told the Associated Press.

He said that Hapilon apparently managed to flee from an encampment in the mountainous hinterlands of Butig town in southern Lanao del Sur province.

“Army troops are still in hot pursuit,” Lorenzana said.

Airstrikes targeted Hapilon’s group on Wednesday and Thursday. Hundreds of troops, backed by artillery fire, then began pursuing him and other militants from the so-called Maute group in Butig, military chief of staff Gen. Eduardo Ano said.

Hapilon, who is on the U.S. Department of Justice list of most-wanted terrorists worldwide with up to $5 million bounty for his capture, moved to Butig from his stronghold on southern Basilan island a month ago to look for a base for his new militant alliance, Ano told the AP.

Lanao lies about 830 kilometers (520 miles) south of Manila.

President Rodrigo Duterte has repeatedly warned that the emergence of IS-influenced militant groups was fast looming as a major national security threat. While pursuing peace talks with two large Muslim rebel groups in the predominantly Roman Catholic nation, he has ordered the military to destroy smaller but brutal extremist groups like the Abu Sayyaf, which is dreaded for cross-border kidnappings, beheadings and bombings.

A wave of Abu Sayyaf kidnappings of crewmen, mostly from Indonesia and Malaysia, has sparked a regional security alarm.

Hapilon, an Arabic-speaking Islamic preacher known for his expertise on commando assaults, has been indicted in the District of Columbia for his alleged role in terrorist acts against Americans and other foreigners in the southern Philippines.

The elusive Abu Sayyaf commander pledged allegiance to the IS group in 2014.

He then went on to organize an alliance called Dawlatul Islam Wilayatul Mashriq, which is now believed to include at least 10 small militant groups, including some Abu Sayyaf factions, the Maute and two other groups established by Malaysian and Indonesian militants. They all use black IS flags, according to counterterrorism officials and documents.

The Maute and another group under the alliance of Ansar Al Khilafah Philippines have been linked to a Sept. 2 bombing of a night market that killed 15 people and wounded 69 others in southern Davao city, the president’s hometown, and a failed bombing in Manila’s popular Rizal Park and the U.S. Embassy last year.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comment (1)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Leave a Reply

  • Probably the most dangerous Catholic nation not to visit.. Fanatical uncivilized native sects have yet to emerge into the modern world. Pagan rituals still practiced in the more remote areas.

Scroll Up