A malfunctioning clothes dryer caused a fire at a home in Ewa Beach, according to the Honolulu Fire Department.
The fire occurred inside a closed garage of a home at 91-996 Awawalei Pl. shortly after 4:40 p.m. Thursday. Honolulu Fire Spokesman Capt. David Jenkins said the fire was brought under control shortly after 4:50 p.m. and extinguished by 5:02 p.m.
Five people who were at home at the time of the fire safely escaped after they were alerted by a smoke alarm.
Damage was estimated at $50,000 to the structure and its contents.