PYEONGCHANG, South Korea >> Seventeen new cases of norovirus were confirmed Monday among staff and volunteers at the Pyeongchang Olympics, organizers said, bringing the outbreak’s total to 194 cases.
The highly contagious illness appears to be spreading beyond Pyeongchang, the small mountain town that is the hub of the Games.
Nine of the new cases are in Gangneung, the coastal city hosting indoor events such as hockey and figure skating. The bulk of previous cases had been in and around Pyeongchang.
Organizers said 147 of the 194 people diagnosed with the illness have been released from quarantine and resumed work at the Games.
No athletes are known to have contracted norovirus during the outbreak.