comscore New Orleans police emphasize clampdown on crowds as Mardi Gras nears | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
News

New Orleans police emphasize clampdown on crowds as Mardi Gras nears

  • ASSOCIATED PRESS / 2011
                                Police on horseback and foot clear out the crowds on Bourbon Street at midnight for the end of Mardi Gras festivities in New Orleans. The final weekend of Mardi Gras season in New Orleans has begun with a warning from police that crowds won’t be tolerated as the city fights to stop the spread of the coronavirus. Police chief Shaun Ferguson noted Friday, Feb. 12, 2021, that bars throughout the city were being ordered to close through Fat Tuesday. And he said police will man barricades limiting pedestrian traffic on Bourbon Street to people who live or work there, hotel guests, and restaurant patrons.

    ASSOCIATED PRESS / 2011

    Police on horseback and foot clear out the crowds on Bourbon Street at midnight for the end of Mardi Gras festivities in New Orleans. The final weekend of Mardi Gras season in New Orleans has begun with a warning from police that crowds won’t be tolerated as the city fights to stop the spread of the coronavirus. Police chief Shaun Ferguson noted Friday, Feb. 12, 2021, that bars throughout the city were being ordered to close through Fat Tuesday. And he said police will man barricades limiting pedestrian traffic on Bourbon Street to people who live or work there, hotel guests, and restaurant patrons.

  • ASSOCIATED PRESS / FEB. 12
                                Police barricades are set up on Bourbon Street ahead of closure in the French Quarter of New Orleans. New Orleans’ annual pre-Lenten Mardi Gras celebration is muted this year because of the coronavirus pandemic. Parades canceled. Bars closed. Crowds suppressed. Mardi Gras joy is muted this year in New Orleans as authorities seek to stifle the coronavirus’s spread. And it’s a blow to the tradition-bound city’s party-loving soul.

    ASSOCIATED PRESS / FEB. 12

    Police barricades are set up on Bourbon Street ahead of closure in the French Quarter of New Orleans. New Orleans’ annual pre-Lenten Mardi Gras celebration is muted this year because of the coronavirus pandemic. Parades canceled. Bars closed. Crowds suppressed. Mardi Gras joy is muted this year in New Orleans as authorities seek to stifle the coronavirus’s spread. And it’s a blow to the tradition-bound city’s party-loving soul.

Crowds are usually welcome and even encouraged in tourist-dependent New Orleans in the days leading up to Mardi Gras but as the final weekend of the 2021 season began Friday, police warned that crowds won’t be tolerated amid efforts to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

Police chief Shaun Ferguson held a news conference with state police and the New Orleans sheriff to drive home the point, saying a bar closure order that took effect Friday would be enforced through Fat Tuesday, the end of the annual pre-Lenten festivities.

All parades in the city have been canceled.

Mardi Gras celebrations last year are now believed to have contributed to an early surge of infections in Louisiana.

The city said Bourbon Street would be closed to cars and pedestrians from 7 p.m. to 3 a.m. each day, with access limited to residents, business employees, hotel guests and restaurant patrons. On Mardi Gras itself, the closure will begin at 7 a.m., Ferguson said.

Restaurant capacity will be limited as it has been throughout the pandemic. And bars, including those that have temporary food permits enabling them to operate as restaurants, will be closed — not just in the French Quarter but throughout the city — until Ash Wednesday.

Other popular entertainment areas, including Decatur Street in the French Quarter and Frenchmen Street in the nearby Marigny neighborhood were to be shut down during what are normally peak hours. And a popular corridor outside the French Quarter that is a gathering spot for locals was being put off limits with fencing.

Ferguson said police will be on the lookout throughout the city for violators of the bar shutdown.

“If you think you’re going to be that bad actor and get away with that, I would ask that you think otherwise,” Ferguson said.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Scroll Up