comscore Failed battery in e-cigarette probable cause of Mapunapuna house fire | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Failed battery in e-cigarette probable cause of Mapunapuna house fire

The probable cause of a fire at a Mapunapuna home Thursday was a failed lithium-ion battery in an electronic cigarette device, the Honolulu Fire Department reported.

HFD said the fire, which was contained to a first-floor room of a two-story, single-family duplex on Tiare Court caused $50,000 in damages to the building and $1,500 to its contents.

Neighbors heard smoke detectors from the duplex and saw smoke coming from the unit.

There were no injuries from the fire, and nobody was inside the duplex at the time, but it displaced a family of four.

Comments (4)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up