August 1, 2021
| Updated on August 1, 2021 at 12:50 am
STAR-ADVERTISER ARCHIVE / APRIL 30, 1951
Hisanobu Matsui, assistant superintendent in the field maintenance department at the Hawaiian
Pineapple Co.’s Wahiawa plantation, keeps in touch with the plantation transmitter via radiophone.
STAR-ADVERTISER ARCHIVE / NOVEMBER 17, 1961
Four Oahu high school students construct planter boxes for Doma, one of 25 Junior Achievement companies
in this year’s business education program. Working at the drill press in front are Lucia Naluai, left, of
Kalani and Tom Beezley of Kaimuki. Behind them preparing the wood strips are John Watson, left, of
Roosevelt and Gail Akioka of Farrington.
STAR-ADVERTISER ARCHIVE / MAY 13, 1954
Hula choreographer and instructor Nona Kapua Beamer teaches Roberta Nitrangelo how to dance with a
poi pounder in preparation for a keiki hula program at the Breakers Hotel.
STARADVERTISER / DECEMBER 18, 1958
President Dwight D. Eisenhower sent his greetings as the new Church College of Hawaii, now known as
Brigham Young University Hawaii, was dedicated in Laie, telling Mormon President David O. McKay that
the new school “adds much to the resources of the Hawaiian community.”
STAR-ADVERTISER ARCHIVE / FEBRUARY 28, 1984
The 200-ton Alii Kai, said to be the world’s largest passenger catamaran, stands ready for launch at its
Keehi Lagoon construction site. The 170-foot vessel, which can carry up to 1,000 passengers, will conduct
daily Pearl Harbor tours and Waikiki dinner cruises.
STAR-ADVERTISER ARCHIVE / FEBRUARY 15, 1981
The celebration dedicating the new Mililani Hongwanji temple included a “chigo,” or “festival children,”
parade featuring dozens of keiki with formal kimono, headpieces and fans.
STAR-ADVERTISER ARCHIVE / FEBRUARY 11, 1975
The Bank of Honolulu is preparing to open its first branch, open Saturdays, in this temporary facility at the Manoa Valley Shopping Center. Permanent quarters are planned adjacent to the Manoa Safeway.