Father’s trial in death of ‘Peter Boy’ delayed until January, meeting request
May 24, 2017 | 76° | Check Traffic

Hawaii News

Father’s trial in death of ‘Peter Boy’ delayed until January, meeting request

  • COURTESY PHOTO
                                “Peter Boy” Kema Jr.

    COURTESY PHOTO

    “Peter Boy” Kema Jr.

  • DARRYL LEE / SPECIAL TO THE STAR-ADVERTISER
                                Peter “Peter Boy” Kema’s mother, Jaylin Kema, begins her trial in the case a week after her husband.

    DARRYL LEE / SPECIAL TO THE STAR-ADVERTISER

    Peter “Peter Boy” Kema’s mother, Jaylin Kema, begins her trial in the case a week after her husband.

  • COURTESY PHOTO
                                The trial of Peter Kema Sr., left, in the murder of his son, Peter “Peter Boy” Kema Jr., will begin Jan. 23.

    COURTESY PHOTO

    The trial of Peter Kema Sr., left, in the murder of his son, Peter “Peter Boy” Kema Jr., will begin Jan. 23.

HILO >> The trial for a Hawaii man charged with murder in the death of his son, who has been missing for nearly two decades, has been postponed until 2017.

Peter Kema Sr. had been scheduled to go on trial Monday, but a judge granted his request for a delay, the Hawaii Tribune-Herald reported Tuesday. His new trial is set for Jan. 23, one week before his wife, Jaylin Kema, will go before a jury in the case.

The couple has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder in the death of their son, Peter Kema Jr., known as “Peter Boy.” The child was 6 when he disappeared in 1997.

The boy’s parents had long been suspects in his disappearance before prosecutors said they finally had enough evidence to charge them in April.

Peter Kema Sr. had told authorities he took the child to Oahu and gave him to an “Aunty Rose Makuakane” in an informal adoption. Police could not find a woman as described by Kema or airline records indicating he had flown there from Hawaii island.

Jaylin Kema is also scheduled to have a separate trial for second-degree theft in a welfare fraud case on Jan. 23. Prosecutors say the alleged theft from May 2010 to July 2015 was uncovered because of the investigation into the boy’s death.

Peter Kema Sr. remains held in lieu of $500,000 bail, while his wife has an Oct. 6 hearing on her request to be freed on supervised release or have her bail reduced. She is being held in jail in lieu of $150,000 bail.

5 comments

Leave a Reply

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.