Cooking fire chars kitchen, adjacent room of Hilo home
  • Monday, November 19, 2018
  • 80°

Top News

Cooking fire chars kitchen, adjacent room of Hilo home

ADVERTISING

Hawaii island firefighters extinguished a fire at a Hilo home Wednesday night.

Firefighters responded to the blaze at a single-story, wooden house located at 43 Nahale-A Avenue at about 9:25 p.m. When they arrived, they observed affected residents standing outside of the five-bedroom home.

One of the residents told firefighters that oil from pan caught fire while they were cooking and that flames reached items above the stove.

Unable to extinguish the fire, the Hawaii County Fire Department said the residents safely evacuated the home.

Firefighters observed flames in the kitchen and an adjacent room. They brought the fire under control at 9:40 p.m. and extinguished it within 10 minutes.

Damage to the structure and its contents was estimated at $100,000.

Comments (0)
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Scroll Up