About 250 gallons of sulfuric acid spilled from a container as it was being loaded onto a truck at BEI Hawaii in Hilo on Friday.
The spill occurred at 9:43 a.m. at the company’s Kekuanaoa Street location.
No injuries were reported.
BEI Hawaii personnel used soda ash to neutralize the acid, some of which leaked into a roadway dry well.
HazMat personnel from the Hawaii County Fire Department monitored PH levels around the dry well and waterways leading to the Wailoa small boat ramp area.
Readings taken by the Department of Health found normal conditions at Wailoa Pond. The department will continue to monitor the scene.