Quantcast
  

Saturday, April 19, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 177 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Protesters rally against Zimmerman verdict

By Verena Dobnik

Associated Press

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 02:18 a.m. HST, Jul 15, 2013



NEW YORK » With chants and prayers, sermons and signs, outrage over a jury's decision to clear George Zimmerman in the shooting of an unarmed black teenager poured from street protests and church pulpits Sunday amid calls for federal civil rights charges to be filed in the case.

Demonstrations large and small broke out across the country — ranging from a few dozen to several hundred — in support of the family of Trayvon Martin as protesters decried the not guilty verdict as a miscarriage of justice.

The NAACP and protesters called for federal civil rights charges against Zimmerman, who was acquitted Saturday in Martin's February 2012 shooting death, which unleashed a national debate over racial profiling, self-defense and equal justice.

The Justice Department said it is looking into the case to determine whether federal prosecutors should file criminal civil rights charges now that Zimmerman has been acquitted in the state case. Meanwhile, President Barack Obama and religious and civil rights leaders urged calm in hopes of ensuring peaceful demonstrations in the wake of a case that became an emotional flash point.

At Manhattan's Middle Collegiate Church, many congregants wore hooded sweatshirts — the same thing Martin was wearing the night he was shot. Hoodie-clad Jessica Nacinovich said she could only feel disappointment and sadness over the verdict.

"I'm sure jurors did what they felt was right in accordance with the law but maybe the law is wrong, maybe society is wrong; there's a lot that needs fixing," she said.

The Rev. Jacqueline Lewis, wearing a pink hoodie, urged a peaceful but vocal response.

"We're going to raise our voices against the root causes of this kind of tragedy," she said, adding, "We'll aim our fight for justice against the ease with which people can get firearms in this country."

At a youth service in Sanford, Fla., where the trial was held, teens wearing shirts displaying Martin's picture wiped away tears during a sermon at the St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church.

About 200 people turned out for a rally and march in downtown Chicago, saying the verdict was symbolic of lingering racism in the United States. Seventy-three-year-old Maya Miller said the case reminded her of the 1955 slaying of Emmitt Till, a 14-year-old from Chicago who was murdered by a group of white men while visiting Mississippi. Till's killing galvanized the civil rights movement.

"Fifty-eight years and nothing's changed," Miller said, pausing to join a chant to "Justice for Trayvon, not one more."

Protesters also gathered in Miami, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C along with a host of other cities.

Hours after the verdict Saturday night, demonstrators gathered on U Street in Washington, D.C., chanting, "No justice, no peace." One protester carried a sign that read, "Stop criminalizing black men."

In Miami, more than 200 people gathered for a vigil. "You can't justify murder," read one poster. Another read "Don't worry about more riots. Worry about more Zimmermans."

Carol Reitner, 76, of Miami, said she heard about the vigil through an announcement at her church Sunday morning. "I was really devastated. It's really hard to believe that someone can take the life of someone else and walk out of court free," she said.

In Manhattan's Union Square, hundreds of people gathered to voice their passions over the verdict, hoisting placards with images of Martin.

Some tempered their anger, saying they didn't contest the jury's decision based on the legal issues involved.

But "while the verdict may be legal, a system that doesn't take into account what happened is a broken legal system," said Jennifer Lue, 24.

Civil rights leaders, including the Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, urged peace in the wake of the verdict. Jackson said the legal system "failed justice," but violence isn't the answer.

But not all the protesters heeded those calls in the protests the broke out immediately after the verdict.

In Oakland, Calif., some angry demonstrators broke windows, burned U.S. flags and started street fires. Some marchers also vandalized a police squad car and used spray paint to scrawl anti-police graffiti on roads and Alameda County's Davidson courthouse. In Los Angeles, police said a crowd of about 100 protesters surrounded an officer and eventually had to be dispersed by officers firing beanbag rounds.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 177 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(177)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Ronin006 wrote:
Most people who closely watched the Zimmerman trial know the jury reached the right verdict based on the evidence presented. I believe that most people protesting about the verdict did not watch the trial and know nothing about it except what they are being spoon-fed by community organizers and civil rights leaders.
on July 14,2013 | 08:58AM
localboieastside wrote:
A lot had to do with the media bias mainly NBC, ABC, MSN and some others. They kept mentioning a 17 year old child was killed.First, I thought, it couldn't be a child and was more like a teenager due to his age but the picture of him on the news showed a younger person wearing a red t-shirt. It was only recently during the trial that a current photo of him was shown ... so different from the earlier pictures shown. I guess he was nearly 6 feet tall.
on July 14,2013 | 10:55AM
cojef wrote:
Agree, media bias plus involvement by the AG staff that went down to Florida to assist Sharpton and Jackson into influencing the Governor to appoint a special prosecutor to pursue litigation against Zimmerman and arrested him after the local county prosecutor declined to proceed against Zimmerman. Also, consider, after lengthy investigation by the FBI stating that there were civil rights violations. The question of requiring the Federal Government to pursue another investigation appears to be ludicrous in view of the FBI investigation. Beating a dead horse is beyond belief. A tragedy does not make for a mockery of our judicial system.
on July 14,2013 | 11:59AM
Pocho wrote:
Where's the OUTRAGE and PROTESTS for the 200 homicides in Chicago alone?
on July 14,2013 | 12:15PM
Grimbold wrote:
Most committed by African Americans!
on July 14,2013 | 06:50PM
poipoo wrote:
Against the same race, no doubt. Had this Treyvon fellow been white, nobody would have said a thing. DOJ needs to clean up its own house.
on July 14,2013 | 08:30PM
jayz43 wrote:
Apparently those 200 didn't look like Mr. Wonderful "if he had a son".
on July 15,2013 | 09:14AM
Grimbold wrote:
Channel 4 Mr.Muir tonight again showed the picture of a 12 year old Trayvon. All part of a foul campaign. I feel sorry for Zimmermann who has his life ruined by trying to save it against aggressive punk.
on July 14,2013 | 06:49PM
false wrote:
No, you're buying a Zimmerman made up by the defense. Where was the blood spatter for shooting Treyvon above Zimmerman? Didn't seen any? How is that? How does shooting a gun from beneath Treyvon allow bullet trajectory to go for Left to Right through Treyvon's body. How does one unholster a gun when straddled at the chest in a position to be knocked around. All to simple, Zimmerman's explanation. How is an anime video of "he said" validate the events when the victim is not there to tell his side. Zimmerman was guilty when he called in to the PD and was told to stay in his vehicle. Treyvon had every right to cross to the area to his home. His rights were violated by Zimmerman's pursuit.
on July 15,2013 | 06:07AM
scooters wrote:
Martin had NO RIGHT to trespass on PRIVATE PROPERTY!!!
on July 15,2013 | 07:51AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
Agree. And the media tried to subtlely infer a riot would follow the verdict. For the most part, protesters have been peaceful. If you're smart, you won't believe anything the media spouts.
on July 15,2013 | 07:08AM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
The moral lesson of this story is don't be a black man walking in the wrong neighborhood in Florida. You very likely will be racially profiled and followed by armed vigilantes that will assume you're a criminal. No need to witness a black man committing a crime in Florida, it's ok to assume he's guilty based on where he is and the color of his skin. Reminds me of the Arizona laws that allow police to pull over anyone who looks Mexican and ask for their citizenship papers.
on July 14,2013 | 11:33AM
Toneyuki wrote:
Ignorance on parade. The moral of the story is that Zimmerman was not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Period. And there is no law in Arizona that allows police to pull someone over based on how they look.
on July 14,2013 | 11:54AM
localboieastside wrote:
Agree... Like I said what if George Zimmerman was half black and Hispanic. Boy, the media would be confused on how to spin this unfortunate situation.
on July 14,2013 | 12:57PM
jayz43 wrote:
So, if Zimmerman is a "white Hispanic" does that mean Barry a "white African-American?
on July 15,2013 | 09:18AM
Pocho wrote:
I thought it was about wearing a Hoodie at night?
on July 14,2013 | 12:17PM
allie wrote:
Florida law is dreadful and this country has too many guns. Latinos hate blacks in many mainland communities.
on July 14,2013 | 02:02PM
HD36 wrote:
Zimmerman could have been dead or paralyzed if not for the Florida law. Blacks hate latinos in many mainland communites, especially the one called prison.
on July 14,2013 | 03:35PM
pcman wrote:
IRT allie on hate. And blacks hate everyone else, everywhere. Blacks hate anyone who is educated, successful and economically well off. Guess why?
on July 14,2013 | 03:43PM
lynnh wrote:
For once Allie. I am not on your side with that comment. That is complete utter ignorance that you would attach that statement to Zimmerman just to try and make this back into a racist thing, of which it never was. I want you to go on you tube and watch every minute of that trial. It is there. Then maybe you can come up with an educated comment. And by the way, someone assaults me, teenager or not, the better hope to hell I am not armed. They will not come out of it.
on July 14,2013 | 08:31PM
EwaWarrior wrote:
Did Trevon Martin violate George Zimmerman's civil rights by calling him a "cracker"?
on July 15,2013 | 02:35AM
pcman wrote:
IRT say what on moral lesson. Another one is don't be a white-looking guy trying to do justice with a black guy, because the black community will blackball you whether you are right or wrong.
on July 14,2013 | 03:39PM
kolohepalu wrote:
I think it's more about wanna-be cops and insecurity. Zimmerman started a fight he couldn't finish and then resorted to using his weapon. How can it be self-defense if you started the fight? Only the woefully ignorant jurors in this case can answer that question. And I agree that racial profiling is alive and well in America- but I think that Zimmerman could have been black and Martin latino and the same thing could have played out.
on July 14,2013 | 03:43PM
lynnh wrote:
Do your research before you speak. He did not know if he was black. He was asked the question by the 911 operator, who asked if he was black. He was not sure and he even said i think he may be black, but he was not sure. It was the dark cloths, covered up, walking through peoples yards and the fact that the area had been burglarized several times by people wearing that same type of clothing. Get off your racism rant, it is falling on ears that a smarter, more read people than you. I bet you didn't even spend the time to actually watch the trial.
on July 14,2013 | 08:27PM
thatsashame_0723 wrote:
1Lynn
on July 14,2013 | 09:48PM
ISCREAM wrote:
On the other hand, don't be a white teen walking anywhere in East LA, Philly, Oakland, NYC, Chicago....many many places...they will never find your body...
on July 14,2013 | 08:44PM
bobbob wrote:
Jury made the right call. This shouldn't have even gone to trial IMO.
on July 14,2013 | 12:50PM
stingray65 wrote:
BoB, You correct!! Based on evidence, Zimmerman was on the ground when he fired shot!! And among other things, are again the evidence !! None of those who demonstrate were not at the location when it happened. So for the time being just fly your kite and shot your traps..
on July 14,2013 | 02:08PM
kolohepalu wrote:
And why was he on the ground? Because he elected to leave the safety of his vehicle despite being explicitly told not to by the police dispatcher. Every development beyond this point is Zimmerman's fault.
on July 14,2013 | 03:45PM
st1d wrote:
police dispatchers aren't the best source of advice. there are lots of cases where they routinely give the wrong advice to people calling for help.
on July 14,2013 | 04:51PM
wizard417 wrote:
Trayvon didn't have to come back to confront Zimmerman, he could have just gone home, he chose to attack, ALL 6'-0 plus of him
on July 14,2013 | 06:27PM
Pacej001 wrote:
Your logic: Well, it all started when Zimmerman decided to go grocery shopping.
on July 14,2013 | 06:32PM
kolohepalu wrote:
No: it started when Zimmerman exited his vehicle with a loaded weapon following someone he had already (incorrectly) presumed was up to no good. After he had been told not to by a police department dispatcher.
on July 14,2013 | 07:05PM
lynnh wrote:
Hey, it is called the second amendment. When I am on the mainland I carry and have a permit to carry. Someone assaults me or a family member, they will get the same thing.
on July 14,2013 | 08:38PM
Pacej001 wrote:
So, please describe the criminal act of exiting a vehicle? It isn't one. Next, describe what is criminal about following some one? It isn't criminal. Then, please explain what is criminal or even wrong about asking someone a question? It just isn't either. Then, assuming Zimmerman didn't break his own nose and bang his own head on the concrete, please explain why it was not a crime for Mr. Martin to do so (by the best witness accounts) in response to Zimmerman's following and asking a question. Why is it not reasonable for a neighborhood watch person to question a stranger in a neighborhood that had been burglarized repeatedly? Zimmerman can reasonably be convicted of bad judgement, but that doesn't prevent him from defending himself from Martins assault if he had good reason to fear serious bodily harm or death. The jury thought that to be the case and so do I.
on July 15,2013 | 10:13AM
lynnh wrote:
First, not police dispatcher. A 911 operator. Get your facts strait. Second, he had every right to get out of his car to investigate a stranger in his community. He was breaking no laws. Third: keeping an eye on someone give know one the right to assault someone... period! Everything that developed came from a violent, druggy punk.
on July 14,2013 | 08:35PM
kolohepalu wrote:
First: spell strait straight. Second: no he didn't- he should have minded his own business and left investigation to the professionals- who he was on the phone with and told him to do so. Third: see second.
on July 15,2013 | 08:40AM
allie wrote:
True..but teh afmily should bring a civil suit. Latino vs. Blacks is a real problem on the mainland
on July 14,2013 | 02:01PM
pcman wrote:
IRT allie on civil suit. The family should then be ready to pay for the cost of Zimmerman's defense and al of the costs of legal fees and the potential of countersuit. Ouch!
on July 14,2013 | 03:46PM
lynnh wrote:
.They should also have to pay for Zimmerman's hospital bills from the injuries he acquired while being assaulted.
on July 14,2013 | 08:40PM
joewilly wrote:
This was a self-defense case that was influenced by Florida's "stand your ground" law. Zimmerman felt--questionably-- his life was in danger, so he pulled his gun and shot the kid. Race, profiling, education, lifestyles, clothing and past indiscretions have nothing to do with how the jury decided, and how they were instructed to decide. The prosecution did a lousy job and they left the jury with the feeling that Zimmerman's life was in danger and he acted according to the "stand your ground" law. Florida law is good in some ways and bad for the country in other ways. Like boxing promoter Don King once said; "Only in America".
on July 14,2013 | 03:01PM
Toneyuki wrote:
The prosecution did a lousy job? Or they didn't have a case and were forced into bringing charges for political reasons.
on July 14,2013 | 04:13PM
lynnh wrote:
Bingo! And that investigation started today.
on July 14,2013 | 08:41PM
lynnh wrote:
You clearly didn't watch of read and responsible news during this. They never invoked the "stand your ground law" during this trial. They used self defense, which is a separate entity from stand your ground. It is people like you that cause all the problems. Shooting your mouth out without understanding the facts. Bet you didn't even watch the trial.
on July 14,2013 | 08:43PM
pcman wrote:
IRT Ronin on right verdict. I agree, The community organizers were actively supported by the DOJ funds, President Obama's support of Jayvon Martin, and other national state and city leaders who tried to prejudice the trial with their comments and efforts. Zimmerman should never have been brought to trial except for the efforts of these leaders who influence the state attorney general to force the trial on Sanford's political leaders. What a disgrace of politics on the justice system, typical of the Obama administration. The prosecutor tried to make the jurors believe the truth did not matter, but the only thing that mattered was what they felt in their hearts. What a loser, the prosecution. Zimmerman has every right to sue the city, state and national leadership for their wrongful prosecution, not to mention withholding of evidence by the prosecution. A disgrace in the justice system.
on July 14,2013 | 03:34PM
kolohepalu wrote:
I have to agree. However, I think that the core issues were misrepresented as well- Zimmerman is not that old- there are far fewer overt racists in the generations that grew up with hip-hop and mainstream African-American celebrities. This was a case about whether it is OK to start a fight and then pull a gun and shoot if you are losing. Whether or not he started the fight because Trayvon Martin was black is a red herring and will never be known by anyone but Zimmerman.
on July 14,2013 | 03:36PM
Pacej001 wrote:
There is no evidence Zimmerman started a fight. Your scenario doesn't fit the evidence.
on July 15,2013 | 10:17AM
false wrote:
This was a decision made from the cartoon of what happened through the Defense Video. The Not Guilty of Murder in the Second Degree but certainly of Manslaughter. There is no reasonable way a holstered gun on the backside could be unseated while being straddled and pummeled. The posture is impossible to explain the shooting. More likely as Trayvon approached Zimmerman had his gun drawn and Trayvon stopped him with a scuffle. If Trayvon had run, he would have shot. There was no winning with Zimmerman's gun drawn. Fantasy. That's a more real interpretation of Trayvon's death at Zimmerman's hands demonstrated by his profiling "....coon" and getting out of the vehicle when told not to pursue the person. Zimmerman's intent was well displayed by the evidence. We are angry at justice denied.
on July 14,2013 | 09:02AM
Thegame wrote:
Actually, there's training and techniques for drawing a concealed firearm while someone has you in the mount position.
on July 14,2013 | 09:34AM
hanalei395 wrote:
Then those "techniques" should have been "demostrated' during the trial.
on July 14,2013 | 09:46AM
Thegame wrote:
Why?
on July 14,2013 | 07:48PM
lynnh wrote:
Why? It was speculation that could not be proven, and was disproved by several law enforcement officers. It was pure rubbish, and the jury knew it.
on July 14,2013 | 08:47PM
Ronin006 wrote:
Pure, unadulterated speculation is not evidence.
on July 14,2013 | 09:46AM
lynnh wrote:
Tell you what, come over to my house and I will show you that it is possible, and very easy to get to the gun. That whole argument is pure rubbish.
on July 14,2013 | 08:45PM
Pacej001 wrote:
There's no way you could know how reachable that gun was. The 911 tape doesn't produce the word "coon". Race was first mentioned by the non emergency dispatcher, not Zimmerman. All else is your guess. Only the jury had the real evidence.
on July 15,2013 | 10:20AM
Slow wrote:
My last boss, an upper middle class haole from San Diego, wondered aloud why blacks and Hawaiians don't just get over it. They have freedom and equality so achieve, brown skin people, climb the ladder like me. No boss, America is run by white men in power still and colored folks do not have equality.
on July 14,2013 | 09:20AM
livinginhawaii wrote:
Your use of the "H" word is offensive.
on July 14,2013 | 12:20PM
GorillaSmith wrote:
"Slow" is a typical local racist - clueless, entitled and incoherent. Its hatred of white people is matched only by its manifest level of confusion of how the world works. Pitiful, really.
on July 14,2013 | 12:47PM
edster48 wrote:
Couldn't have said that better myself Gorilla!
on July 14,2013 | 02:23PM
kolohepalu wrote:
Slow speaks the truth.
on July 14,2013 | 05:46PM
lynnh wrote:
Then explain why I am native American and I am successful? I am not white! My whole family is successful. They are not white. We came from a poor reservation and worked hard to get to where we are. I know it is possible, we lived it. The only difference, we are not lazy and blame everyone else for our problems.
on July 14,2013 | 08:51PM
kolohepalu wrote:
Ha- first of all, Natives refer to themselves as such, not "native Americans", chief- I suspect you're full of kukae. Second- if you really are Native, your lack of perspective is truly pathetic.
on July 15,2013 | 08:57AM
hanalei395 wrote:
If your post is not sarcasm ......the "H" word is ONLY "offensive" if the "F" word is before it. (And with the tone of voice to go with it). Other than that, it's in the Hawaiian dictionary, it means Caucasian, and it could mean a term of endearment.
on July 14,2013 | 12:49PM
WEATHER wrote:
hanalei395...yeah it "could" mean a term of endearment, but I've never heard it used as such and that covers quite a few decades. Notwithstanding what's in the Hawaiian dictionary, "H" IS used as an offensive term in a lot of situations without the "F". Period.
on July 14,2013 | 02:44PM
kolohepalu wrote:
That you've supposedly lived here decades and never heard it used in an endearing manner says more about you, not local people.
on July 14,2013 | 03:48PM
lynnh wrote:
No, it speaks volumes about you ignorance. I grew up with it being used against me. Did you? Don't tell people that it isn't offensive. Try calling me that to my face and see what happens.
on July 14,2013 | 08:58PM
kolohepalu wrote:
Haha. Before you start criticizing the intellect of others, start with checking your basic grammar. Your lack of both is on full display. If you've had it used against you, it's been said to your face many times, mr. tough guy- so save your bravado for the street, not the internet.
on July 15,2013 | 08:50AM
hanalei395 wrote:
"never heard it used as such and that covers quite a few decades". ....SIMPLE reason, ...you're an a....... PERIOD.
on July 14,2013 | 03:56PM
Grimbold wrote:
Blacks were allowed to claim that the n word ending on o is derogatory so the Caucasians can claim the H word is derogatory and it should be followed up..
on July 14,2013 | 06:56PM
hanalei395 wrote:
OK ...."Follow up".
on July 14,2013 | 07:50PM
Bdpapa wrote:
True, no F word no foul!
on July 15,2013 | 08:33AM
8082062424 wrote:
How is it offensive. gezze talk about silly
on July 14,2013 | 01:41PM
kolohepalu wrote:
There isn't any need to abbreviate- ha'ole is a Hawaiian word like any other. You shouldn't get offended if you don't understand the word and its context- perfect example of why living in Hawaii doesn't make you local.
on July 14,2013 | 04:01PM
kolohepalu wrote:
What is offensive is your lack of knowledge of Hawaiian language and its contextual use. Kinda like moving to Mississippi and then complaining about cracker culture.
on July 14,2013 | 05:49PM
eljay wrote:
America is currently run by a black man
on July 14,2013 | 02:23PM
HD36 wrote:
A white black, or to be politically correct a black white.
on July 14,2013 | 03:37PM
hanalei395 wrote:
Since he's from Hawai'i,.....he's hapa haole.
on July 14,2013 | 04:39PM
Grimbold wrote:
eljay : Another blatant lie that is. For the same reason you could say USA is run by a white man. Both terms are wrong. Our President is Eurafrican.
on July 14,2013 | 07:00PM
kolohepalu wrote:
The fact that most haole folks are in denial of this truth is the major problem behind race-relations in this country. People like your last boss think they hit a home run and don't realize they were born on third base. If you are born a poor minority in this country, you likely won't even get a turn at bat.
on July 14,2013 | 03:53PM
Pacej001 wrote:
Please to explain the asians that are class valedictorians in one generation (or less) after immigrating to the US? Are these not minorities, mostly poor to begin with?
on July 14,2013 | 06:38PM
Bdpapa wrote:
Thats a generalization. Maybe on the continent but not so much here.
on July 15,2013 | 08:34AM
Slow wrote:
I guess I should have said" my last boss a caucasian from San Diego..." Oh, to GorillaSmith, I am certainly clueless and incoherent often but check your assumptions ot the door. I am haole...ooops white, Euro, whatever and am island born, island raised.
on July 14,2013 | 03:59PM
lynnh wrote:
Your name says it all about you intelligence.
on July 14,2013 | 08:48PM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Anticipating wild outrage in Honolulu, I went and bought up all the pink hoodies I could find.

Whenever you guys are ready to riot and rage against the machine....maybe when you get back from the beach or the baby luau....come see me and I will outfit you properly.


on July 14,2013 | 09:36AM
hanalei395 wrote:
So far on the continent, the protests have have peaceful. And, of course, not even a protest march here. ..... As for the Deedy case,.... "pink hoodies" .... needed or not needed ...is kind of weird.
on July 14,2013 | 10:02AM
Graham wrote:
Not in Oakland...
on July 14,2013 | 10:17AM
allie wrote:
sorry hon but Latinos do not ahve the presence here that they do on the mainland. We need to deal with Micronesian violence against Hawaiians (and vice versa) and Latino and black violence.
on July 14,2013 | 02:04PM
Graham wrote:
Protest the Black-on-Black killings in Chicago, Atlanta, Phillie, etc...
on July 14,2013 | 09:46AM
HD36 wrote:
No justice , no peace; no Obama phones, no peace ; no food stamps, no peace'
on July 14,2013 | 10:11AM
makule1957 wrote:
Isn't it interesting how this country does not believe in its own system? If decisions didn't fall our way, instead of changing our views, we get upset, protest, and claim it's a race issue. The man was judged by his peers and determined not guilty. If this country feels the system is broken, well offer suggestions to make it better. The easiest thing to do is complain, anybody can do that; why not offer up solutions to fix what appears to others as broken? Let's all lean toward offering up solutions and fix this nation and divert from complaining!
on July 14,2013 | 10:04AM
jussayin wrote:
Yup!
on July 14,2013 | 10:16AM
hanalei395 wrote:
And sometimes the government itself (in this case the Republican government of Hawai'i during the 1930's), does not believe in its own system. In the "Massie Case" trial, the killers were all found GUILTY, .... HOWEVER ... "Thanks" to White Supremacist businessman Walter Dillingham, and newspaper publisher propagandist Lorrin Thurston, the murderers spent just one hour in the governor's office, before being whisked out of Hawai'i.
on July 14,2013 | 10:53AM
Toneyuki wrote:
What on earth does something from 80 years ago have to do with today? You know what else was happening in the 30s? The Democrat kkkk were persecuting and murdering minorities.
on July 14,2013 | 12:01PM
hanalei395 wrote:
Same subject ...getting away with murder. EXCEPT, one case was found GUILTY. I mentioned the "Massie Case" because it's closer to home.
on July 14,2013 | 12:35PM
Toneyuki wrote:
Huh? It looks like you are just trying to point fingers at republicans. So badly that you had to go back 80 years to make a connection. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaakkkkk.
on July 14,2013 | 12:43PM
hanalei395 wrote:
So? Since it annoyed you and you're hurt ......Thank you very much.
on July 14,2013 | 01:01PM
false wrote:
It haunts us even to this day. We are still aghast the injustice could repeat itself in so many different realms but the people who are dismissed are people of color. When will we have equity? None of the Networks are covering Deedy trial of the same injustice of the gun.
on July 14,2013 | 02:00PM
kolohepalu wrote:
So you love republicans, Toneyuki? They love you too- as long as you're serving sushi and are mindful of your place- and it ain't at the table- it's serving the table.
on July 14,2013 | 06:00PM
Toneyuki wrote:
Ignorance on parade again. And I love your stereotypical comment.
on July 14,2013 | 10:52PM
pcman wrote:
IRT Toneyuki on blame. Just don't blame the one-sided politics, social ills, poor educational system, high cost of living, anti-government, pro-union, traffic, housing, and other problems in Hawaii on the Republicans.
on July 14,2013 | 03:54PM
kolohepalu wrote:
Yeah- under the Republicans, you could count on it being worse- except for individuals of a certain color and income level.
on July 14,2013 | 05:57PM
lynnh wrote:
F you!
on July 14,2013 | 09:07PM
kolohepalu wrote:
Wow. Another intellectual contribution.
on July 15,2013 | 09:02AM
kolohepalu wrote:
I love that tired comment- yes, Democrats used to be racists. Know what? They never stopped- they were from the South, and they switched parties- now they are Southern Republican racists- that happened sometime in the 1960s, so update your calendar.
on July 14,2013 | 06:06PM
Toneyuki wrote:
Hahahahahahaha. Please name these mythical racists that were once dems and are now repubs. How bout Robert Bird? Oh wait he never changed parties.
on July 14,2013 | 10:55PM
kolohepalu wrote:
Hmmm. Forgive me for not recapping your sixth grade political science class. Just note that 1964 was the year Lyndon Johnson passed the Civil Rights Act and the year that Strom Thurmond switched parties- along with many of his contemporaries. Go read.
on July 15,2013 | 09:11AM
lynnh wrote:
Nice! Exactly right. And now the dems are killing Hawaiian in every other way.
on July 14,2013 | 09:06PM
kolohepalu wrote:
Thank you. Word up.
on July 14,2013 | 04:04PM
baileygirl9631 wrote:
Wonder if the people who are protesting did the same when O.J. was found innocent?
on July 14,2013 | 10:53AM
kolohepalu wrote:
Yeahhh. . . tell me again about how happy white folks were about the system after OJ got acquitted?
on July 14,2013 | 04:03PM
babyb_19 wrote:
I don't remember a riot after OJ got acquitted....
on July 14,2013 | 08:21PM
jussayin wrote:
Needed proof beyond reasonable doubt and there was none. So the verdict is correct whether we 'feel' otherwise. I hope everyone moves on. The media made the situation worse and made the trial a joke, e.g. every day they had a panel of around 8 or so people and they voted who won for the day. It's like a game show. Pretty sad. But, hey, it's Sunday and the weather is nice. Enjoy.
on July 14,2013 | 10:16AM
tobyclairmont wrote:
The President says we should "honor Trayvon Martin...". In a word, rubbish. Martin was part of the deadly duo and deserves no recognition or honor. The President's comment is way out of line. He took sides in a matter that belongs with the courts and the courts have spoken.
on July 14,2013 | 10:21AM
WEATHER wrote:
And the president took sides early on when he said in the absence of a trial..."if I had a son he'd look like Trayvon..." and helped generate the perception that it was a civil rights issue. And one has to wonder, if Zimmerman had been an African-American would he have been charged....
on July 14,2013 | 10:27AM
tobyclairmont wrote:
And we wonder where t3 racist overtone of all this came from...
on July 14,2013 | 10:33AM
baileygirl9631 wrote:
It probably would'nt have come to trial.
on July 14,2013 | 10:55AM
cojef wrote:
During the trial, it was disclosed that the posecution introduced evidence a picture of Trayvon Martin wih his tattoo removed. That in itself indicate how the prosecution drastically needed to win the case. The presecution bought this fact up to point out that Martin was not an innocent child, but a 17 years old who had all the physical attributes of and adult. The President should not have gotten himself involved to further portray Martin as a child. Juries may take that as a personal affront to their intelligence.
on July 14,2013 | 12:13PM
Carang_da_buggahz wrote:
This, coming from the guy who was the self-proclaimed "Post-racial" president. Remember the "Beer Summit" he had when the Cambridge Police Department "acted stupidly"? This guy has done more to stoke the flames of racism than anyone else since the '50s. Why does he feel he has to weigh in on every last piddling issue? Nothing but political grandstanding masquerading as "Leadership". Leadership from Behind, that is.
on July 14,2013 | 01:26PM
baileygirl9631 wrote:
Right on!
on July 14,2013 | 10:54AM
localboieastside wrote:
Obama made a lame comment.. how can he have a son that looks like him with different parents. Politics and justice should not be play a part but not in this country.
on July 14,2013 | 10:57AM
false wrote:
You all will sing a different tune when your hoody dressed teen is accosted this way. Zimmerman was profiling and acting irrationally with the lens of being a cop.
on July 14,2013 | 02:03PM
WEATHER wrote:
Not according to the jurors who heard all the evidence. And if that's the way you felt a year ago then it's clear you had already judged the case based only on the biases you brought to the blog.
on July 14,2013 | 02:51PM
false wrote:
Watched the trial as much as tolerate the one sided presentation. Gun part doesn't make sense. Bullet didn't enter straight on but left to right . How does the bullet take an angled penetration in contact with the sweat shirt when Trayvon is directly above Zimmerman? Geometry says the barrel of the gun had to be coming from Zimmerman's right side stance. We'll never know more than what Zimmerman claims except that he killed this 17 year old. Really? The kid was just walking through a neighborhood. Posturing Zimmerman wanted to make a show and he is the star. This will haunt him forever and he it will be equally restrictive as the grave.
on July 14,2013 | 05:34PM
HD36 wrote:
Profiling isn't a crime. If he saw two old white women with canes of course he wouldn't think they we're going to burglarize the place. He was a neighborhood watchman. The area had been burglarized by black teenagers before. Everyone with half brain profiles just to survive. If you're approached by a bunch of black guys wearing gang banging clothes at night you wouldn't be more on guard than if it was a group of hot blond cheerleaders?
on July 14,2013 | 03:42PM
DaRock4 wrote:
I totally agree with you. If this happened to their child or family member, would they agree with the verdict? HELL NO!!! Would they be okay with Zimmerman walking away a free man? NO WAY!!! If Trayvon was your son, do you believe he deserved to be shot and killed?
on July 14,2013 | 11:09PM
stingray65 wrote:
He must be smoking dope again?
on July 14,2013 | 02:15PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
How the jury could find him innocent after listening to the 911 call Zimmerman made and the instructions the dispatcher gave him to stop following the guy is beyond understanding. Zimmerman did not witness a crime being committed by this kid, he assumed he was guilty of something based on the color of his skin and the neighborhood he was walking through. This much is obvious and needs no evidence to establish as a fact. No one can dispute the fact that this kid would still be alive if Zimmerman had not ASSUMED he was guilty of a crime based on his skin color and the neighborhood. Maybe it wasn't murder but Zimmerman shouldn't have been allowed to walk away free to do it again.
on July 14,2013 | 11:48AM
Toneyuki wrote:
Probably because the 911 call wasn't the only evidence.
on July 14,2013 | 12:03PM
pcman wrote:
IRT sayhwhat on who started what. Jayvon attacked Zimmerman because he felt Zimmerman was following him. Jayvon's attack on Zimmerman was the cause of Zimmerman feeling he had the need to 'stand his ground' and pull the gun. Jayvon would still be alive if he had not confronted Zimmerman. That is the truth.
on July 14,2013 | 04:02PM
kolohepalu wrote:
Zimmerman WAS following him- after leaving his vehicle with a loaded weapon when he was in no personal danger whatsoever, and after he had been explicitly told not to. If Martin was a white kid from Orange County we'd be moving to the sentencing phase right about now. There's your "truth".
on July 14,2013 | 06:15PM
bobbob wrote:
the right call was made based on evidence presented. You could claim that martin would be alive if he stayed home and smoked pot or if zimmer didn't wake up that day. But it's all circumstantial. in the end, the only thing that matters is the question of whether he acted in self defense or not.
on July 14,2013 | 12:53PM
stingray65 wrote:
BoB, The evidence was, when Zimmerman was on the ground facing the kid and fired the shot! You are correct, had he stayed home which as his age, his parents should keep him at home late that night, he could be still alive!! But no one knows what else he could do next five years?
on July 14,2013 | 02:20PM
wizard417 wrote:
he would be alive if he kept on walking to his home instead of confronting Zimmerman
on July 14,2013 | 02:19PM
kolohepalu wrote:
Right. Guaranteed some of the posters here OK with this verdict have a teen in their family who likes hip-hop and dresses like it. This will happen again, and it will be a white kid, and then watch the storm unfold.. .
on July 14,2013 | 06:18PM
Toneyuki wrote:
Yah cuz white folks protest and riot whenever a verdict doesn't agree with their opinion...... Oh wait.
on July 14,2013 | 10:58PM
chariie1 wrote:
A family's child is never coming home again and that is the bottom line.... no justice.......American judicial system a scam and no not the best in the world......
on July 14,2013 | 11:59AM
Carang_da_buggahz wrote:
LOL! "A family's child". Ted Bundy was some family's child, too. And so were his dozens of victims. Give me a break!
on July 14,2013 | 01:23PM
stingray65 wrote:
There was six juries and all females? Majority of them are Mothers!! Therefore, justice were served!! However, had he stayed at home late that night, chances are, he could still be alive!! Yes, he was unarmed like some folks are saying!! Well, he should have armed himself !!
on July 14,2013 | 02:24PM
Pookie_Baby wrote:
I believe 5 of the 6 women were black.
on July 14,2013 | 03:59PM
Pacej001 wrote:
None were.
on July 14,2013 | 06:45PM
sailfish1 wrote:
You are totally clueless.
on July 15,2013 | 01:42AM
edster48 wrote:
OK SA, riddle me this, if you don't like my response to Slows post, why did you allow such an obviously racist post to begin with?
on July 14,2013 | 12:58PM
false wrote:
Don't know what you posted, but Slow is right, because in order to insert yourself as a minority you always remember you place and the limits that allow you to participate. Equality is determined by the environment and who is in control, be it employment, advancement, position or participation. We fool ourselves to think we really have that much influence on the larger organizations of society, that's why we hang out with people who look and act like us. We have comparable definitions. When you want to be accepted as a professional you speak as one. When you are in local mode, you slip to local brogue. Reality.
on July 14,2013 | 02:10PM
edster48 wrote:
Rubbish. The fact that someone is a "minority" has little or no bearing on their accomplishments. If you are a professional the color of your skin is irrelevant. Let your actions and abilities speak for you and quit whining lest you lend credence to the stereotypes.
on July 14,2013 | 02:17PM
false wrote:
Oh those stereotypes that haunt us. We have to do double effort to out perform them. You kid yourself if you don't think we are always on guard so that we don't fall into a definition.
on July 14,2013 | 05:42PM
kolohepalu wrote:
Exactly. Edster don't get it- he's in the wrong state, and the wrong century. He needs Alabama circa 1950.
on July 14,2013 | 07:11PM
edster48 wrote:
Seems to me it's you guys that are stuck in 1950's Alabama, those days have long past, but keep on whining, I'm sure it'll get you far!
on July 14,2013 | 08:49PM
kolohepalu wrote:
Keep telling yourself that dismissing uncomfortable facts as whining will make them go away. But move first.
on July 15,2013 | 09:18AM
Carang_da_buggahz wrote:
These people would have more credibility if they had the same outrage everytime a Black man kills a White man. You want justice? Then start THERE! Until then, no one's giving you the time of day.
on July 14,2013 | 01:20PM
false wrote:
Stats would probably bear that out, more people of color prosecuted and incarcerated.
on July 14,2013 | 02:11PM
Grimbold wrote:
false, the reason is that they commit more crimes, their crime rates are much higher. And that is a reason for profiling and discrimination.
on July 14,2013 | 07:05PM
wizard417 wrote:
everything to black people is a racist or discrimination, anything happens that's not going their way they say it's because of discrimination. wake up there was no discrimination here, do you really think Trayvon was a saint and did nothing towards the confrontation. I truly feel for his parents I really do everyone including myself no matter how wrong my child is would feel that they are not.
on July 14,2013 | 02:11PM
eljay wrote:
where were the protests when OJ was acquitted of murdering two white people?
on July 14,2013 | 02:21PM
wizard417 wrote:
exactly
on July 14,2013 | 02:26PM
kolohepalu wrote:
Yeah, heard plenty of white outrage at that one- only smirking this time- go figure. . .
on July 14,2013 | 07:14PM
poidragon wrote:
Instead of protesting the verdict, why not work to change the very law that was used against Treyvon Martin, so that another life is not lost to such stupidity as presented by George Zimmerman and his lawyers!
on July 14,2013 | 04:01PM
Toneyuki wrote:
Or how bout the minority community work at changing the stereotype. Teach their children to study, learn, and get ahead in life. Cry me a river. The wonderful thing about America is ANYONE can make it if they try hard. But as soon as someone has that victim mentality then it's that much harder for them to get ahead.
on July 14,2013 | 04:28PM
engineersoldier wrote:
It's basically a game of who plays better, not what is right or wrong. Now, proving what is right or wrong, that's a difficult matter. I suppose that is why we have laws and rules of evidence, etc., etc. Until we can come up with something better, this is what we will have to live with. Huff Post has it right, 'not guilty--but not innocent'.
on July 14,2013 | 04:43PM
64hoo wrote:
from what lawyers say it is illegal to go after civil rights violations because that never was the issue in the trial. the tv news and newspapers should just drop the story about Zimmerman he was found innocent. all these news media are just adding fuel to the fire. they are trying to start a riot. that's your tv and the media keeping it going. just move along media nothing new here.
on July 14,2013 | 04:47PM
poipoo wrote:
No, they won't drop it; drama sells papers.
on July 14,2013 | 08:51PM
9ronboz wrote:
Not fair? Society has gone twisted. Why go to trial?
on July 14,2013 | 07:25PM
Eagle156 wrote:
The media just cannot resist the opportunity to stir the flames of promoting racial conflict.. CNN fell well short in reporting the world's major events of the last few weeks, SF plane crash ,killer forest fires, turmoil in Egypt and the Canadian train wreck. Instead in order to stir up the racial implications of the Zimmerman trial CNN swamped the air waves with hours of titillating comments about the trial. There must have been many similar murder trials during that period which CNN ignored, even including our present one in Honolulu which incidentally could have a racial undertone but fortunately for us CNN was asleep at the switch and left us alone. .
on July 14,2013 | 07:27PM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
I can't figure out if things have racial overtones or racial undertones.
on July 14,2013 | 07:50PM
babyb_19 wrote:
I am just wondering...We got to hear alot about the character of Zimmerman but we never did hear about the character of Martin. Everyone is saying how good this kid was but they would not let his juvenile records be brought to light. I just wonder if T. Martin was really a good kid like everyone is making him out to be...
on July 14,2013 | 08:29PM
lynnh wrote:
Typical comment coming from a local. IT IS OFFENSIVE! I am native American and fall into the H category. I find it offensive, and I have been called that name since I first moved here as a child. Do not tell ME it is not offensive! Jack@#$#.
on July 14,2013 | 08:56PM
kolohepalu wrote:
It's your own fault you have not learned anything since you've moved here- maybe you should move back.
on July 15,2013 | 09:20AM
lynnh wrote:
And you don't understand that the word has been twisted into a derogatory weapon against white people. Sorry, too many big words for you?
on July 14,2013 | 09:00PM
lynnh wrote:
Excuse me? And you claim to know the Hawaiian language? Do you even know what hapa means? It mean part Hawaiian mister high and mighty. You are a joke.
on July 14,2013 | 09:04PM
hanalei395 wrote:
No, Dummy. "Hapa" means portion, part. ..... Hapa Hawai'i means part Hawaiian.
on July 15,2013 | 06:25AM
kolohepalu wrote:
What a tool. Don't post if you don't know what you're talking about.
on July 15,2013 | 09:21AM
LittleEarl_01 wrote:
My question is, "Where are Sharpton and Jackson when blacks are killing blacks every day, 24/7, in every major city? Where's the outrage? Where's the outrage, Sharpton and Jackson, when blacks are killing whites every day, 24/7, in every majot city?
on July 15,2013 | 05:18AM
honokai wrote:
We live in a world where a some people feel it is their duty to create a "narrative". When the narrative of the day becomes more important than the facts, we have lost all sense of justice.
on July 15,2013 | 07:04AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
I pretty much expected 2nd degree murder would be difficult to prosecute but thought manslaughter would have a more viable outcome. Civil suit to follow.
on July 15,2013 | 07:06AM
Pacej001 wrote:
Not under Florida law.
on July 15,2013 | 10:34AM
residenttaxpayer wrote:
Probably by next month most of the protests against the verdict will have died down and so will have the mainstream media coverage...there will be other issues that will have captured the attention of the public by then.....it's time to move on...
on July 15,2013 | 07:34AM
scooters wrote:
Until we stop "hyphenating" who we are, African-American, Mexican-American, Chinese-American, ect, we will continue to segregate ourselves. You're either an African, Mexican, Chinese or your an American..you can't be both. PERIOD!
on July 15,2013 | 07:58AM
Bdpapa wrote:
President Obama gave a good speech after the verdict. The problem is soon after the death of travon Martin, he said "that could have been my son", which fueled a lot of fires.
on July 15,2013 | 08:36AM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News