Thursday, April 24, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 6 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Susan Boyle says Asperger's diagnosis was a relief

By Jill Lawless

Associated Press

LAST UPDATED: 01:20 a.m. HST, Dec 09, 2013

LONDON >> Singer Susan Boyle says she has been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, a form of autism — and feels relief at finally having the right label for her condition.

Boyle told the Observer newspaper that she saw a specialist a year ago, who told her she had Asperger's and an above-average IQ.

Boyle, 52, had learning difficulties as a child, which she was told were the result of brain damage from oxygen deprivation at birth. She struggled in school and was bullied by other children.

"I have always known that I have had an unfair label put upon me," Boyle said in the interview, published Sunday.

"Now I have a clearer understanding of what's wrong and I feel relieved and a bit more relaxed about myself."

The church volunteer from a small Scottish town became a global sensation when she sang the "Les Miserables" number "I Dreamed a Dream" on TV contest "Britain's Got Talent" in 2009.

The contrast between her shy manner and soaring voice won Boyle legions of fans. She has sold more than 14 million records around the world and recently released her fourth album, "Home for Christmas." She makes her big-screen debut in holiday movie "The Christmas Candle."

Boyle has occasionally struggled with the pressures of fame, and was treated for nervous exhaustion soon after her stint on "Britain's Got Talent."

The singer said she was glad she, and others, would now have a better understanding of the struggles she experiences.

"I would say I have relationship difficulties, communicative difficulties, which lead to a lot of frustration. If people were a bit more patient, that would help," she told the newspaper.

"Asperger's doesn't define me. It's a condition that I have to live with and work through, but I feel more relaxed about myself. People will have a much greater understanding of who I am and why I do the things I do."

COMMENTS

KailuaMom wrote:
As they say, "Patience is a virtue." Live Aloha and it's win-win for all . . .
on December 8,2013 | 06:10AM
She is still one my favorites cuz she can sing.
on December 8,2013 | 07:49AM
Mythman wrote:
Is there any truth to the rumor that Barry from Punahou has Aspergers too and that explains things?
on December 8,2013 | 01:08PM
Ldub20_Owl316 wrote:
If he did why did Michelle date him or even consider marrying him?
on December 8,2013 | 06:45PM
Skyler wrote:
Her style isn't my favorite, but my dad really likes her singing. What I liked most about her was her unabashedly brilliant initial performance on BGT. She was ridiculed, even if only with body language, by the judges & audience. But when she started singing, the look on their faces was priceless. She certainly showed them!
on December 9,2013 | 12:12AM
miss_laulau wrote:
Right. Looks can be deceiving. When she began to sing it was whop jaw to those who ridiculed her. She has a beautiful voice.
on December 9,2013 | 03:51AM