Quantcast

Sunday, July 27, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 20 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Mother of stowaway Somali teen fears for life

By Associated Press

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 06:10 a.m. HST, Jun 09, 2014


MOGADISHU, Somalia >> The mother of an ethnic Somali teenager who stowed away on a plane from California to Hawaii has left a refugee camp in Ethiopia because of what she says are death threats against her.

Ubah Mohammed Abdule was moved outside of the Shedder Refugee Camp in far eastern Ethiopia near the border with Somalia for safety reasons, said Abdlrasak Abas Omar, a legal protection officer at the camp. He said that Abdule showed the camp administrators logs of anonymous calls she said were made by people threatening her with death.

"It's just a 600 yards evacuation because she felt vulnerable in the camp's makeshift homes," said Omar. "She's quite unstable now."

Abdule has not seen her teenage son in eight years. The teen stowed away in the wheel well of a jetliner during a 5 1/2-hour flight to Hawaii. Abdule believes her boy was trying to get to Somalia to see her.

Since her son's trip in April, Abdule says she has received threats from callers she believes are relatives of her former husband.

"They are going to kill me, so that his claims that I was dead will turn out to be true," she told an Associated Press reporter by phone. "I couldn't keep waiting for death to come, because the makeshift home was not a good safe haven. I was exposed to any attack."

A family spokeswoman forwarded questions on Saturday from AP to father Abdilahi Yusuf, a Santa Clara, California, taxi driver, about the allegations of threats. As with past requests, Yusuf has not responded. The spokeswoman, Zahra Billoo with the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said the family is firm in wanting to maintain their privacy.

Associated Press reporter Martha Mendoza in San Jose, California contributed to this report.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 20 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(20)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Grimbold wrote:
90% of Somalians fear for their life. Let them all into the USA to live on welfare.
on June 9,2014 | 06:56AM
palani wrote:
As long as travel here in the jetliner wheel wells.
on June 9,2014 | 08:15AM
laachang wrote:
Who gives a @#$%.
on June 9,2014 | 07:14AM
RandolphW wrote:
Best idea yet!
on June 9,2014 | 07:28AM
copperwire9 wrote:
People with a trace of compassion and humanity. That's who.
on June 9,2014 | 09:15AM
laachang wrote:
Copperwire9---Then you should go over there and bring her back to live with you in your safe home...and make sure you purchase a seat IN the plane for her too. Put up or shut up!!
on June 9,2014 | 10:14AM
Mypualani wrote:
why don't you shut up? pilau dimwit.
on June 9,2014 | 03:46PM
copperwire9 wrote:
WWJD?
on June 9,2014 | 05:40PM
BuhByeAloha wrote:
I think Obummer should bring this woman to the U.S., along with any of the other Somalians that would feel more comfortable here. We should be doing much more for other countries. Our deficit isn't quite high enough. Obummer hasn't used our money and hard work to pay for enough African nations.
on June 9,2014 | 08:29AM
Graham wrote:
Ay Somalis' in GITMO? The Pres. could trade them for the mother...
on June 9,2014 | 08:38AM
Pocho wrote:
Bring the threatened Somali's to Hawaii. We got good State and Federal benefits to help them survive here in the islands. They just need to get into shelters and not live on the streets
on June 9,2014 | 09:30AM
false wrote:
Hey, were building Kakaako for families who will need housing. Isn't that the reason for all of those condos? Families that needed housing?
on June 9,2014 | 12:25PM
Pocho wrote:
Guess so, if you say so. lol
on June 9,2014 | 07:06PM
what wrote:
You can tell many people here think that welfare money comes from some magical place -- and not their own pockets via taxes. Or maybe they don't have jobs and don't pay taxes, and take some delights in spending other people's money.
on June 9,2014 | 11:18AM
Pocho wrote:
just like TheRail, people who spends alot on merchandise here on Oahu are paying for ThrRail project. The poor that has less to spend here pays less for it but probably will benefit the most from TheRail.
on June 9,2014 | 11:40AM
false wrote:
Benefit from that rail? lol
on June 9,2014 | 12:26PM
Anonymous wrote:
Somebody is laying the legal groundwork for Obama's minions to declare her in grave danger and therefore be eligible for acceptance as a political refugee.
on June 9,2014 | 02:59PM
konag43 wrote:
next comes the u.s. offering free entree to the us with a sob story of death threats. more people using our tax money that they are not entited to given by our federal government problably end up on welfare.
on June 9,2014 | 04:07PM
SteveToo wrote:
This families problems areNOTNEWS other than the flight to Hawai`i.
on June 9,2014 | 04:07PM
wayneki wrote:
She has her own phone!?
on June 9,2014 | 06:14PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs
Political Radar
On policy

Warrior Beat
Apple fallout

Wassup Wit Dat!
Can You Spock ‘Em?

Warrior Beat
Meal plan

Volley Shots
Fey, Enriques on MJNT

Political Radar
Wilhelmina Rise, et al.

Court Sense
Cold War

Political Radar
Climate change