Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Friday, June 14, 2024 75° Today's Paper

911 ReportHawaii News

Police and Fire

Swipe or click to see more

Waianae owner turns in python

A 9-foot snake has been turned in under the state’s amnesty law.

The female reticulated python, which had been kept in a garage in Waianae, was surrendered by its owner Saturday. It is being held at the Department of Agriculture’s Plant Quarantine Branch and will be shipped to a reptile farm on the mainland.

Under the state’s amnesty law, the owner will not face prosecution or fines for possession of an illegal animal.

Reticulated pythons, native to Southeast Asia, the Philippines and Indonesia, can grow up to 30 feet long and weigh more than 250 pounds.

Details emerge of alleged kidnapping

The kidnapping and beating of a woman who chased purse-snatchers were detailed in court documents yesterday.

Inside the suspects’ car, the 27-year-old victim was beaten and driven to Windward Oahu as the suspects demanded she withdraw money from ATMs along the way, according to an affidavit filed in Honolulu District Court.

The case began June 2, when thieves took her purse and that of her friend when they were seated at the Ala Moana Center food court.

The victim told police she was driven to Hawaii Kai with the women demanding her personal code for withdrawing money. They stopped at a service station after the victim gave them a false code and were unable to take out money from the ATM.

The car went to Sandy Beach and then to a convenience store in Waimanalo, where the suspects demanded her bank card codes and the victim pleaded to be let go, the affidavit said. The suspects tried to take money out of the ATM but again were unsuccessful.

The victim finally was let out of the car in Waimanalo, according to the affidavit. Police traced the vehicle, and the victim identified the driver from a photographic lineup.

The driver was questioned and told police that she saw her sister run out of Ala Moana Center with the victim chasing the sister and another woman.

Prosecutors charged two women yesterday in connection with the alleged purse-snatching.

Kishan Monis-Hoopai, 20, who has no local address, and Rachel Koma, 19, of Hawaii Kai were both charged with kidnapping and second-degree robbery. Monis-Hoopai’s bail is set at $15,000, and Koma’s aggregate bail is set at $50,000.

Charges are pending for a third woman involved in the purse-snatching, authorities said. Police also arrested two teenage girls, ages 16 and 17, in connection with the robbery and are looking for another female suspect.

Big Island man dies of fire injuries

A 78-year-old Pahala man has died after succumbing to severe burns suffered in a house fire that occurred in April.

He was identified as Maxime Provost, according to the Department of the Medical Examiner. The cause of his death was complications of thermal burns from the fire. The manner of death was classified as an accident.

On April 10, Provost suffered first- and -second-degree burns to the right side of his body and back after a fire at his home. He was taken to Kau Hospital and later flown to a Honolulu hospital.

Maxime died Wednesday from his injuries.

Mililani senior reunited with ohana

Honolulu police said a missing 74-year-old Mililani woman was found at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Diana Minakami was found at the Ala Moana Center McDonald’s restaurant and was reunited with her family, police said.

She had last been seen May 23 at her home.

Investigation being held for fire on Lagoon Drive

Firefighters are investigating a small fire that caused about $20,000 damage to a Chinese restaurant tonight on Lagoon Drive.

The fire broke out about 8:40 p.m. at Lagoon Chinese Food, 496 Lagoon Drive, when the restaurant was already closed, said Honolulu fire Capt. Terry Seelig. Witnesses at the next door strip club, Lagoon 500, reported the fire.

Firefighters saw smoke coming from the building and forced their way in to find a small fire in the corner of the kitchen, Seelig said.

The fire was extinguished by 8:57 p.m., and no one was injured.

Seelig said the fire damaged mostly contents and the restaurant could reopen Friday.

A cause has not been determined.

Man in critical condition after collapsing

A 42-year-old man was in critical condition tonight after collapsing at Mokuleia Army Beach.

Police responded to a call about 9:10 p.m. reporting the man was pulled from the water.

When paramedics arrived, the man was on shore and may have suffered from a medical condition, said Bryan Cheplic, spokesman for the Honolulu Emergency Services Department. 

Paramedics took the man in critical condition to the hospital.

Comments are closed.