comscore Nightclub fire damages bookstore | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Hawaii News

Nightclub fire damages bookstore

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now
  • DENNIS ODA / DODA@STARADVERTISER.COM
    Firefighters pack up after putting out a fire in the service area above the Barnes & Noble Bookstore at Ala Moana Center.
  • DENNIS ODA / DODA@STARADVERTISER.COM
    Firemen enter the store to clean up water that seeped in as they put out the blaze.

Fire officials said an electrical short in an extension cord used by the Pearl nightclub started a small fire in an Ala Moana Center storage room that was quickly doused yesterday.

However, water seeped from an automatic fire sprinkler system into the Barnes & Noble Bookseller store on the center’s street level below, causing extensive damage to books and display equipment.

Water also flowed into the store’s storage areas on the center’s coral level.

Carolyn Brown, a New York spokeswoman for the book company, said in an e-mail that the company does not plan to disclose any damage figures.

The bookstore, which was scheduled to open at 9 a.m., opened instead at about 11:45 a.m. after the damage was cleaned up.

The fire was reported at 7:54 a.m. as being in a storage room on the mall level. Firefighters arrived at 8:01 a.m. and had it under control 10 minutes later. Fire officials set damage to the storage room and its contents at $5,000.

Pearl’s storage room is behind the Fendi woman’s apparel store on the mall level. Although Fendi was not damaged by the fire, a strong odor of smoke lingered after it was extinguished.

 

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up