comscore Neighbor uses garden hose to help control fire | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Neighbor uses garden hose to help control fire

An alert neighbor used a garden hose to help put out a fire in Keaau yesterday afternoon, Big Island firefighters said. 

Firefighters responded to the 4:27 p.m. alarm Thursday at 16-1101 Moho Rd. and extinguished the fire by 4:43 p.m. The fire was mostly under control when engines arrived because of the neighbor’s efforts, firefighters said.

Officials estimated damages at $10,000 to the single-story structure, but said the damage could have been up to $143,000 if the flames had spread. The cause of the fire at the 20 foot by 30 foot structure is blamed on unattended fire being used to heat water, firefighters said.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up