City officials say they have received all operational documents from the company trying to ship hundreds of tons of baled garbage off island.
Today was the deadline Mayor Mufi Hannemann had set to have the documents in hand before exploring the possibility of ending the contract with Hawaiian Waste Systems.
Hannemann administration officials said all documents were received by about 3 p.m.
A test shipment was expected to leave Hawaii last week for a port in Washington, but the company had not filed the formal documentaiton with the city or received final approval from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Hawaiian Waste Systems President Michael Chutz said the company is prepared to begin with a test shipment of 5 to 10 containers within two weeks.
The company is waiting for formal approval from the national USDA office.
A test shipment was ready to go last week Friday but got held. Chutz said federal inspectors in Hawaii had recommended approval of the shipment but that an official in Washington, D.C., was unavailable to make a decision on approving that test shipment.