comscore Founders pull plug on holiday lights in Las Vegas | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Founders pull plug on holiday lights in Las Vegas

[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

LAS VEGAS >> Organizers are pulling the plug on an annual holiday lights festival, saying they hit a snag on a Clark County contract over use of a local park.

Event founders Chris and Brenda Meehan told the Las Vegas Sun on Tuesday the drive-thru Gift of Lights display has been canceled.

Chris Meehan says the county wanted to charge 60 percent more rent this year than last year for the 10th anniversary at Sunset Park.

Because the festival is a privately owned enterprise, the Meehans declined to discuss specific figures.

County spokeswoman Stacey Welling said the cash-strapped county implemented new rental policies in 2009 aimed at collecting fair fees for use of public facilities.

Brenda Meehan says she hopes to find another venue, but says it may be too late this year.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up