Two men were sickened by a noxious odor at the Oahu Community Correctional Center this afternoon.
About 48 inmates and workers were evacuated at about 2 p.m. from one of the modules at the prison, located at 2199 Kamehameha Highway in Kalihi, said Honolulu fire Capt. Terry Seelig.
The odor was traced to a drain cleaner with an acid component, Seelig said. A fire hazardous materials team was called at about 1:30 p.m. The team tested the air and found no hazardous gas present, Seelig said.
OCCC personnel had already been ventilating the area before fire personnel arrived. Fire personnel recommended the module be vacated at 2 p.m.
Emergency Medical Services paramedics treated and transported one man to a hospital at 1:26 p.m. for difficulty breathing and irritation of the eyes, ears and nose, said Bryan Cheplic, Emergency Services Department spokesman.
Paramedics also treated a second man at the scene for the same symptoms, he said.