Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Friday, May 24, 2024 78° Today's Paper

911 ReportHawaii News

Police and Fire

Bones ID’d as those of Waianae man

The skeletal remains discovered during a Nanakuli brush fire earlier this month have been identified as those of a man who was reported missing five years ago.

The Honolulu Medical Examiner’s Office identified the man as Joseph Mason, 45, of Waianae. The office could not determine a cause of death. A family member confirmed the remains belonged to Mason, who disappeared after leaving his Waianae home on June 17, 2005.

A few weeks later, police put out a CrimeStoppers alert asking for the public’s help in finding Mason.

Firefighters battling a brush fire on Oct. 5 found the skeletal remains about a mile from the ocean and a few hundred yards on the Nanakuli side of Lualualei Naval Road. The remains had been there awhile, firefighters said.


Pedestrian killed by bus identified

The Honolulu Medical Examiner’s Office identified the pedestrian hit by a school bus in front of the Hale Koa Hotel in Waikiki on Monday afternoon as Clelia Roudabush, 89, of Honolulu.

Police said a Gomes School Bus, driven by a 43-year-old man, turned left onto Kalia Road from Maluhia Road and ran over Roudabush, who was in a crosswalk.

Paramedics took Roudabush to the Queen’s Medical Center in critical condition with severe leg injuries, police said. Roudabush died of multiple injuries.


Mo-ped rider is injured in collision

A mo-ped crash closed one lane of Isenberg Street last night in Moiliili, police said.

The mo-ped and another vehicle collided at 7:33 p.m. near King and Isenberg streets, police said. One mauka-bound lane of Isenberg Street was closed at King Street.

Paramedics took a man who appeared to be in his 40s to a hospital in critical condition, said Bryan Cheplic, spokesman for the Honolulu Emergency Services Department. It appears the other vehicle hit the man as he was driving the mo-ped, Cheplic said.


Fatal Aiea fire ruled deliberately set

Fire investigators determined yesterday an Aiea house fire that killed a 65-year-old woman and caused $400,000 in damage last week was intentionally set.

Police said they do not suspect foul play and are not looking for any suspects.

The fire at 99-518 Ulune St. appeared to have started in an enclosed patio in the back of the house about 10:20 p.m. last Friday, said Honolulu Fire Department Capt. Terry Seelig.

Police said a 65-year-old woman died in the fire; neighbors identified the resident as Jane Ebisui. The Honolulu Medical Examiner’s Office deferred a cause of death and has not confirmed the woman’s identity, pending a check of dental records.

Seelig said fire investigators used burn patterns, evidence at the scene and witness statements to determine how the fire started. It was the fourth fatal fire on Oahu this year.



Fire damages house but 2 escape harm

A young girl and her great-grandfather escaped without injuries yesterday from a house fire in Waipouli, Kauai.

The man made several unsuccessful attempts to put out the fire, which started in a bedroom of the three-bedroom home on Panihi Road at about 9:50 a.m., said Kauai County spokeswoman Mary Daubert. Firefighters put out the blaze at 10:30 a.m.

Officials estimated damage at $150,000.

The girl and her great-grandfather were taken to Wilcox Hospital for observation.


Comments are closed.