comscore Illegal entry to bases thwarted
Hawaii News

Illegal entry to bases thwarted

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now
    A man who appeared to be an Army explosives expert inspected a vehicle yesterday outside Aliamanu Military Reservation in Red Hill. Military officials said two suspects accused of trying to enter Leeward military facilities were arrested.

Army and Honolulu police apprehended two men who allegedly tried to enter at least three Oahu military bases without authority yesterday.

Honolulu police blocked the Red Hill offramp of Moanalua Freeway eastbound and the Ala Kupuna Street Overpass, which both lead to the mauka gate of Aliamanu Military Reservation, for about two hours as a military bomb expert methodically examined a black Jeep at the gate.

The two suspects were taken into custody at the gate, according to Col. Mike Donnelly, a U.S. Army Pacific spokesman.

Donnelly said the two men were spotted trying to enter at least two other "Leeward Oahu military bases" that he would not name.

"Military police put out what we call a ‘be-on-the-lookout’ list and quickly thereafter, they tried to access another base and we apprehended them … here at Aliamanu Military Reservation," Donnelly said.

Donnelly did not give any details about the two suspects, although he indicated military police had identified them.

"With our communications, we know who they are, we know what they look like, we know what they were driving. And so once they tried to access a military base, we apprehended them."

Donnelly declined to say whether there was reason to believe there were explosives aboard the vehicle, although the Jeep was examined by personnel including someone who appeared to be a bomb expert from an Army Explosive Ordnance Detachment while the public was kept at a distance.

"The military always takes precautions to safeguard its personnel and its families," Donnelly said. "So if there’s an ounce of suspicion, we always take the appropriate actions."

Honolulu police shut down the Red Hill offramp about 3:25 p.m. "due to a suspicious vehicle with possible explosives." The offramp, overpass and gate were reopened about 5:25 p.m. after military officials drove the Jeep away.


Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up