comscore Police and Fire
911 Report | Hawaii News

Police and Fire

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now

Man is charged in attack on officer

A 45-year-old homeless man who allegedly threw what appeared to be a Molotov cocktail at a Maui police officer on Monday has been charged with first-degree attempted murder.

Andrew Patrick Kiaaina is being held at the Maui Community Correctional Center, unable to post $500,000 bail.

On Monday, officers responded to a 7:04 a.m. call about a disorderly man with knives at Lahaina Recreational Park, said Maui police Lt. Wayne Ibarra.

Officers found Kiaaina standing at the park entrance holding the knives, Ibarra said.

Kiaaina refused to drop his weapons and put them in his waistband before pulling out a bottle — later found to be a Corona beer bottle filled with what appeared to be gasoline and topped with a cloth wick, Ibarra said.

Kiaaina allegedly lit the wick and threw the bottle at an officer, who dodged it. When the bottle did not burst into flames, Kiaaina took out the knives and waved them around, Ibarra said.

An officer subdued Kiaaina with his Taser, Ibarra said.

Kaneohe boy ID’d as crash victim

The Honolulu medical examiner identified the boy killed in Saturday’s Kunia Road crash as Samson Sese of Kaneohe.

Sese was a passenger in a speeding 2007 Mitsubishi sedan that hit an oncoming 1992 Mercury sedan on Kunia Road on Saturday night, setting off a chain-reaction accident involving five vehicles.

Also killed in the accident was Jennifer Parsons, 42, of Waianae, who was driving the Mercury. Parsons died of multiple internal injuries, according to the Medical Examiner’s Office.

Sese died from head injuries caused by the accident, according to an autopsy report. Sese’s age, previously reported by authorities as either 11 or 12, is still being confirmed, the medical examiner said.

Six other people were injured in the crash, which happened at 6:55 p.m. Saturday just south of Kunia Drive.


Man arrested in failed Maui bank robbery

Maui police have arrested a man who failed to rob a bank in Kahului but left behind a small explosive device.

Lt. Wayne Ibarra said 45-year-old Renaldo Villa had been arrested Monday and charged with first-degree robbery and first-degree terroristic threatening.

Police said Villa entered a First Hawaiian Bank branch last week and handed a teller a note demanding that money be put in a bag.

Authorities say he did not get any money, but he left behind a package and said something about blowing up the bank.

Ibarra said the device included a small amount of explosive akin to that in a bottle rocket.

A U.S. Army bomb squad defused it.

Villa is being held in lieu of $25,000 bail.


Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up