comscore Gainey grabs share of lead | Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Gainey grabs share of lead


SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. » At the frosty Phoenix Open, it was fitting that a guy called "Tommy Two Gloves" had a share of the lead.

Not that Tommy Gainey thinks the extra glove really helps in cold conditions.

"I don’t necessarily think it’s an advantage when it’s real cold, and I’ll tell you why, because when the temperature started dropping, I mean, my hands, even though I had the gloves on, they were still freezing," Gainey said. "I didn’t have much feel in my hands at that time. Wearing a glove or not, it’s still freezing, and your hands are feeling kind of numb. And that’s the way my hands were feeling, kind of numb."

Gainey and Mark Wilson reached 11 under yesterday before second-round play was suspended because of darkness in the frost-delayed tournament that will finish Monday.

Wilson played 14 holes in the second round, and Gainey finished nine.

Frost delayed play until just after 11 a.m. — 94 minutes after the scheduled start that was already nearly 2 hours later than normal. Only half the field finished the first round Thursday after a 4-hour morning delay.

The delays — costing a total of 7 hours, 24 minutes of playing time — pushed more than half of the second round to today. In announcing the Monday finish, PGA Tour officials said the cut will remain at the top 70 and ties.

"In a perfect world, probably finish Monday, maybe four or five holes, best-case scenario," said Slugger White, the PGA Tour’s vice president of rules. "So much depends on (the mornings). … It’s unbelievable how frozen these greens get and they just don’t thaw out."

On the sunny day, the temperature was 42 when play started, reached 52 and was 48 when play was suspended a little after 6 p.m. If the players started a hole before the suspension, they had the option of finishing it.

Only six players finished the second round and 64 — the entire early wave from the first round — didn’t get on the course yesterday.

Kaneohe’s Dean Wilson finished the first round with a 1-under-par 70 but didn’t get on the course for the second round. He is right on the projected cut line in a tie for 63rd place.

Tseng leads in Australia

Defending champion Yani Tseng shot a 6-under-par 67 to take a two-stroke lead at the storm-interrupted second round of the Women’s Australian Open yesterday.

Tseng was at 9-under 137 at Commonwealth Golf Club. South Koreans Ji Eun-hee, who shot 70, and No. 1 Jiyai Shin (72) were two shots back.

Shin completed her final three holes of the first round yesterday morning along with 57 other players who were forced off the course when a thunderstorm hit the area yesterday.

Jennifer Song, who shared the first-round lead with Shin, shot 73 and was three shots behind Tseng and tied for fourth with fellow American Cindy LaCrosse. LaCrosse, who shot 68, was also among those completing their rounds this morning.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up