comscore Surgeries surprised Brennan | Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Surgeries surprised Brennan


On former Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan’s left cheek, between the hazel eyes and aw-shucks grin that induced thousands of swoons, there is a half-inch scar.

Brennan then lifted his shirt, revealing long scars coursing the left side of his chest.

"I’ve got some scars," he said. "It gives me a little street cred, I think."

Those are some of the few physical reminders of a metal-crunching, two-car accident in November that left a woman critically injured, and Brennan, a passenger in an SUV driven by his girlfriend, incurring multiple injuries.

Brennan, who will be a volunteer instructor at a football clinic at Aloha Stadium today, and his girlfriend, Shakti Stream, attended a news conference yesterday morning. Through a spokesman, both declined to answer specific details about the accident, which is still under investigation. A lawyer for Dr. Theresa Wang, who was critically injured and is undergoing treatment in Denver, has filed a lawsuit against Stream.

Last month, Brennan told the Star-Advertiser he does not remember the accident nor details leading to it.

Yesterday, Brennan reiterated that "four or five days" after the accident, he awakened at The Queen’s Medical Center and was surprised to learn he underwent surgery to repair a broken left clavicle, and had received stitches for a gash at the back of his head. He said he also suffered four broken ribs on his left side, and injuries to his left eye socket and left cheek.

"I don’t remember," he said of the accident, adding, "and it’s not like I remember that moment when I woke up. It’s not like that at all. … I was out for four or five days. … I woke up, and all of my stitches were out of my body, and I was sitting there feeling fine, to an extent. And (my parents) were like, ‘No, you went through something traumatic.’"

Because of the memory loss, Brennan said, he has not experienced post-traumatic problems.

"I haven’t had to face any of that," he said.

He said his clavicle has healed, there is no discomfort with the injured ribs, and he received clearance from an Orange County neurologist in December. Brennan had returned to his family’s home in Irvine, Calif., a few days after regaining consciousness.

Yesterday, Brennan appeared to be thin. But Brennan, who is 6 feet 2, said he has been on a diet the past week. He said he weighs close to 210 pounds, about eight fewer pounds than what he weighed before the accident.

"I definitely lost weight after the accident, but I gained a lot back over the holidays," he said. "Basically, about a week or two ago, I was getting a little too big. I put myself on a diet last week. Basically, when I start training hard, it will be easy to get to the right weight."

Brennan said he has started training. He is capable of running and throwing without any discomfort. He said the clavicle surgery included a procedure, he was told, that would allow him to withstand impacts on the collarbone. He said the procedure was performed "with the sense I’ll be playing football again."

Before the accident, Brennan said, the Oakland Raiders had discussions about the possibility of re-signing Brennan, whom they cut in August.

He said his agents — Bruce Tollner and Ryan Tollner — have told him there has been "interest" from some NFL teams. Brennan acknowledges he likely will need a try out to answer concerns about his medical history. From April 2008 through April 2010, he underwent arthroscopic surgery on both hips and both knees.

"Small meniscus tears," he said of the knee injuries, a result of over-compensating for the hip problems. "On paper, it looks bad. Surgery, surgery, surgery. None of it was any type of structural damage. It wasn’t as if I blew out a major ligament."

He said he was back practicing within four weeks after each procedure.

He said he will return to California on Monday to resume workouts. He is considering training in Arizona.

He said the well wishes from Warriors fans were helpful in his recovery.

"Whether it was writing a quick e-mail or sending a nice note, my mom is convinced that was a huge part in my healing," he said. "The state of Hawaii had a lot to do with that. I’m very grateful."

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up