comscore American Samoa man found guilty of assaulting official with machete | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

American Samoa man found guilty of assaulting official with machete

A federal jury has found an American Samoa man guilty of assaulting a federal employee with a machete during an incident in which he cut off part of the official’s left ear.

Prosecutors said the jury in the U.S. District Court for Hawaii convicted Simeti Lualemana on Wednesday after a five-day trial and less than one hour of deliberation. The 67-year-old faces up to 20 years in prison. 

Federal officials say Mark Cunningham, station chief for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, was attacked last March while taking pictures of a house Lualemana was building on administration-controlled land in the U.S. territory. 

Cunningham had previously told Lualemana the house couldn’t be built there.

The FBI says Cunningham suffered a cut nearly 6 inches long to his neck.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments have been disabled for this story...

Scroll Up