comscore Charcoal causes Aina Haina church fire | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Charcoal causes Aina Haina church fire

[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

A piece of charcoal that wasn’t properly disposed of caused a fire at an Aina Haina church.

At about 1:08 p.m. Sunday, firefighters were called to a blaze at the Church of God on 1114 Mona Street. About 18 firefighters responded.

The fire started in a trash can outside the church building, and spread to some doors, windows and the roof. The fire was under control by 1:21 p.m.

Fire spokesman Capt. Robert Main said the fire caused about $20,000 in damages. The charcoal that caused the fire was thrown away after a barbecue last night.

"That’s a good 16 hours later when the fire rekindled," Main said, adding that residents should always make sure burning materials are completely cool before they’re thrown away.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments have been disabled for this story...

Scroll Up