comscore Coach arrested in assault case says he was not at scene | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Coach arrested in assault case says he was not at scene

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now

  • SPT Head coach08 - Wendell Say - Aiea head coach. November 16, 2003. Star Bulletin Ronen Zilberman

Aiea High School football coach Wendell Say, who was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of assault and terroristic threatening in an Oct. 9 incident, said today that he was nowhere near the scene of a scuffle at a 7-Eleven store in Aiea.

Police arrested Say, 55, who also serves as a counselor at Aiea, at 11:30 a.m. Tuesday at the main station on suspicion of second-degree terroristic threatening and second-degree assault, and released him that afternoon pending investigation. He was not charged.

The case stems from a series of incidents starting with an argument with skateboarders at Aiea High School on Oct. 9 and ended up with alleged assaults of two of the skateboarders at two nearby locations, according to various accounts.

Police said Say got into an argument with a 35-year-old man at 6:15 p.m. Oct. 9, threatened him with bodily harm and assaulted him. According to reports, the man was skateboarding at Aiea High School.

Say released a statement today saying he went to the police station on Tuesday after police asked him to appear there.

“When I got to the station, I was surprised because I was immediately booked and placed under arrest,” Say said in a written statement. “The detective told me that someone claimed he had been assaulted at the 7-Eleven store in Aiea on October 9, 2011, and that the individual identified me as the one who assaulted him. The detective showed me a group picture of Aiea High School football coaches, and said that the victim identified me from the picture.”

“I explained to the detective that I was never at the 7-Eleven store on October 9, 2011,” Say said.

Say said he has a receipt indicating he made a purchase at Sam’s Club at Pearl Highlands Center at 5:33 p.m. He and his wife and daughter then returned to their home in Wahiawa, he said.

“I am sorry that a young man in our community apparently has been injured, but I had absolutely nothing to do with it,” he said.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up