comscore Tossed cigarette blamed for lanai fire at Waikiki Banyan Hotel | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Tossed cigarette blamed for lanai fire at Waikiki Banyan Hotel

[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

A discarded cigarette started a small fire on an eighth-floor lanai of the Waikiki Banyan Hotel this morning, an official said.

No one was in the eighth-floor room when the fire was reported at 11:28 a.m. It was extinguished at 11:41 a.m.

Capt. Terry Seelig, Honolulu Fire Department spokesman, said officials believe someone on a ninth-floor lanai discarded the cigarette, which landed on a lanai below, igniting a chair and clothes that were on it. The fire did not damage the hotel unit. No one was injured.

The hotel is at 201 Ohua Ave., a block makai of the Ala Wai Boulevard.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments have been disabled for this story...

Scroll Up