comscore Cause of Pearl City house fire traced to electrical short | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Cause of Pearl City house fire traced to electrical short

  • CRAIG T. KOJIMA / CKOJIMA@STARADVERTISER.COM
    2012 OCTOBER 4 CTY Hookani St. Fire. Fire investigator led the homeowner in an inspection of her burned out home. SA photo by Craig T. Kojima
[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

An electrical short circuit caused an early morning fire that destroyed a Pearl City home Thursday, according to a Honolulu fire official. 

Capt. Gary Lum said the circuit fed the resident’s refrigerator and freezer located in the garage of the home located on the 1600 block of Hookani Street. Excessive accumulation of materials in the home added fuel to the fire, said Lum. 

Damage was estimated at $260,000 to the property and $40,000 to its contents.

The alarm for the fire at the three-bedroom home, which was built in 1961, was turned in at 1:14 a.m. The fire was brought under control 25 minutes later, but not fully extinguished until 4:40 a.m.

No one was home when the blaze broke out. The Red Cross was at the scene helping the woman who lived in the home.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments have been disabled for this story...

Scroll Up