comscore Nevada judge upholds Diaz pot-related UFC suspension | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Sports | Top News

Nevada judge upholds Diaz pot-related UFC suspension

  • AP
    Nick Diaz
[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

LAS VEGAS >> A Nevada judge is upholding a fine and yearlong suspension for Ultimate Fighting Championship competitor Nick Diaz after he tested positive for marijuana use last year.

A court order made public Wednesday shoots down Diaz’s challenge that he had a prescription from a doctor in California to use medicinal marijuana to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

The court ruling says there’s substantial evidence Diaz broke rules by using the substance before his Feb. 4, 2012, UFC welterweight title loss to Carlos Condit.

It adds that Diaz likely understood he should have disclosed the pot use before the fight, and says the Nevada Athletic Commission didn’t overstep its bounds by suspending him.

Diaz was fined $79,500 and banned from fighting until February 2013 following the violation.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments have been disabled for this story...

Scroll Up