comscore Firefighters extinguish fire in Lahaina Safeway exhaust vent | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Firefighters extinguish fire in Lahaina Safeway exhaust vent


  • Three Maui hunters needed assistance from Makawao firefighters when they got disoriented by fog and darkness on the Waiakoa Loop Trail early this morning.
[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

Maui firefighters extinguished a fire in the exhaust vent of the Lahaina Safeway Bakery this morning.

Firefighters called to the scene at 8:22 a.m. observed smoke coming from the bakery’s exhaust vent system.

No flames were visible in the bakery, but firefighters discovered a smoldering fire in the exhaust vent above the oven.

Store personnel and customers were evacuated and firefighters extinguished the fire by 9:28 a.m.

The fire was contained within the vent and no damage or injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire is considered accidental, blamed on grease buildup catching fire because of the heat from the oven.

Customers and workers were allowed back into the store after the fire was extinguished.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments have been disabled for this story...

Scroll Up