comscore Faulty light fixture blamed for fire at Lahaina home | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Faulty light fixture blamed for fire at Lahaina home


  • Three Maui hunters needed assistance from Makawao firefighters when they got disoriented by fog and darkness on the Waiakoa Loop Trail early this morning.
[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

Quick action by a resident contained a fire in a garage under a 2-story home in Lahiana Friday evening.

Maui County firefighters responded to a report of smoke and flames coming from the home, but the son of the homeowner was able to put out the fire before crews arrived.

A Maui Fire Department spokesman said that a light fixture outside the garage caught fire and the fire started moving up the wooden walls and under a balcony above the garage.

A caretaker took the man’s mother out of the home, while the son extinguished the fire with a fire extinguisher.

Damage was contained to the light fixture, wooden panels surrounding the light fixture and a wooden beam. No structural damage was found. Damage is estimated at $500.

The fire is considered accidental, caused by a faulty light fixture.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up