comscore Mavericks big wave contest to undergo overhaul | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Sports | Top News

Mavericks big wave contest to undergo overhaul

  • ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Nic Lamb rides a wave during the third heat of the first round of the Mavericks Invitational big wave surf contest today
[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

HALF MOON BAY, Calif. >> The new owners of Northern California’s storied big wave surf contest say they will overhaul the event in an attempt to broaden interest.

The Santa Cruz Sentinel reported Saturday that Cartel Management purchased the Mavericks International surf contest earlier this month. Terms of the deal weren’t disclosed. Company owner Griffin Guess says a new logo, Facebook page and Web site among other changes will be created for the contest.

Guess says he’s trying to line up a major network to broadcast the event. This year’s contest was held in January and streamed live online by RedBull.TV.

Each year 24 of the world’s best big wave surfers get 24-hour notice when a large swell is rolling toward the Pacific Coast about 30 miles south of San Francisco. The waves often exceed 30-feet during the competition.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up