An air conditioning belt malfunctioned. sending black smoke into the air at the Circuit Court building Monday morning, causing excitement but no delays in court proceedings.
Three fire companies responded to the alarm around 7:15 a.m. at Punchbowl and Halekauwila streets.
Only one company was needed to handle the emergency, which was traced to the air conditioning belt that sent the smoke into the probation conference room on the first floor, said Marsha Kitagawa, a Judiciary spokeswoman.
The conference room was closed for an hour while firefighters vented the room. Drug tests that were supposed to be conducted in the conference room were moved to another area.
No other rooms were affected and the courthouse opened on time at 7:45 a.m., Kitagawa said.