comscore Firefighters respond to Circuit Court as smoke fills room | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Firefighters respond to Circuit Court as smoke fills room

  • GREGG K. KAKESAKO / GKAKESAKO@STARADVERTISER.COM
    Firefighters used a fan to vent a room at Circuit Court that filled with smoke from malfunctioning air conditioning equipment Monday morning.
[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

An air conditioning belt malfunctioned. sending black smoke into the air at the Circuit Court building Monday morning, causing excitement but no delays in court proceedings.

Three fire companies responded to the alarm around 7:15 a.m. at Punchbowl and Halekauwila streets.

Only one company was needed to handle the emergency, which was traced to the air conditioning belt that sent the smoke into the probation conference room on the first floor, said Marsha Kitagawa, a Judiciary spokeswoman.

The conference room was closed for an hour while firefighters vented the room. Drug tests that were supposed to be conducted in the conference room were moved to another area.

No other rooms were affected and the courthouse opened on time at 7:45 a.m., Kitagawa said.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments have been disabled for this story...

Scroll Up