A chlorine gas leak at the Sheraton Waikiki Hotel on Friday morning prompted the closure of Kalia Road and an evacuation of guests from an area around the hotel’s pool.
No injuries were reported, according to Capt. Dave Jenkins, Honolulu Fire Department spokesman.
Eight Honolulu Fire Department companies, including two hazardous materials personnel, responded to the 7:24 a.m. emergency call.
Investigators traced the leak to a faulty hose connected to the swimming pool pump.
Firefighters evacuated the pool area, an upstairs restaurant and the basement pump room while repairs were conducted.