A 76-year-old woman was displaced Thursday night after a possible fireworks-related fire started on the roof of her Ewa Villages home and caused $150,000 in damage.
The two-alarm fire started about 7:30 p.m. at 91-1681 Orrick Street and burned an eight-inch hole in the woman’s wood shake roof, said Honolulu Fire Department spokesman Kendall Ching.
Police were patrolling the area when the fire started, and officers used a garden hose to put out the flames after seeing them on the roof, Ching said. Embers, however, fell into the crawl space, and firefighters extinguished the crawl space fire by 9:03 p.m.
Police said a first-degree criminal property damage case was opened.
Ching said the fire was likely fireworks-related — the only fireworks-related structure fire on Oahu from yesterday to 8 a.m. today.
During that period, firefighters responded to nine fireworks-related incidents, including three rubbish fires, one dumpster fire, one wildfire and three medical incidents.
Meanwhile, a police spokeswoman said police received 862 fireworks-related calls between 5 a.m. Thursday and 5 a.m. today. By comparison, police received about 972 fireworks-related calls for all of 2014.