LIHUE >> A Kauai man convicted of an execution-style killing could get a new trial as his conviction has been vacated.
The Garden Island reported Thursday that the Hawaii Intermediate Court of Appeals has ruled that Vincente Hilario’s 2013 conviction should be vacated because he did not get a speedy trial.
Hilario’s case went to trial more than seven months after his arrest. State law requires courts to dismiss charges if a trial does not begin within six months.
Prosecuting Attorney Justin Kollar says he will ask the Hawaii Supreme Court to review the lower court’s decision but that he is ready to retry the case if necessary.
Hilario was convicted of first-degree murder in the 2010 death of Aureo Moore, 34. Prosecutors say Hilario shot Moore to prevent him from testifying in a robbery case.
Pahoa seeking ways to handle homelessness
HILO >> A Hawaii island community is working on solutions for getting the area’s homeless population off the streets.
The Hawaii Tribune-Herald reported Thursday that business leaders, law enforcement officials and homeless people in Pahoa attended a community breakfast Wednesday to discuss ways to deal with homelessness.
The Homeless Point in Time Count earlier this year showed the number of homeless people on Hawaii island is at least 1,300, up from 557 in 2013.
Sarah Williams, who organized the breakfast, says she hopes Pahoa can serve as “a model for the rest of the nation” on how to deal with the problem.